Author Topic: canal people. and canals  (Read 30015 times)

frederick

Re: canal people. and canals
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »
Roy,
I had a chat with my boating brother and he calls them narrow boats it's just me i thought they were barges that had been made livable  :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
hi Fred
          i did not know my self what they are called for sure but its of no matter we all know what members mean

but I'm told that you will find barges on the river thames in london

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

buffalo dave

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
Anybody out there who remember the narrow boat Joseph Chamberlain belonging to the Bham Ass. of Youth Clubs who used to put on cruises from Gs st. to Sharpness nr. Bristol inthe 1950 I had my first real holiday away from home in 1953 aged 16 and have never forgot it. Lost all my pics. years ago unfortunately. Never been able to find anyone else who has ever heard of it

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
Hi Buffalo Dave

Welcome to our forum, I'm sorry I have no memory of what you mention, but some of the guys & gals on here who are a little older than me might have. Good luck to you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 01:40:36 PM »
I took these from the bridge on Granville Street on the way into work, one view is towards the Mailbox, the other away from it.  You can certainly see when the 'city centre' starts!

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
Can anyone place this shot which I took in 1992? I think it's a section of canal east of Scotland St, I do remember taking another shot from the bridge in view of the Farmer's Flygt of locks, walking past them took you in the direction of the old Science Museum on Newhall St.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

JudithM

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
Can anyone place this shot which I took in 1992? I think it's a section of canal east of Scotland St, I do remember taking another shot from the bridge in view of the Farmer's Flygt of locks, walking past them took you in the direction of the old Science Museum on Newhall St.
Peg.
It's by the Flapper & Firkin (it would be on the right of the picture) - funnily enough, I walked along there on the way into work one morning last week.  I got off the bus on Summer Row to get on to the canal & walked along what would be the left hand side of your picture towards where you took the picture from before crossing over the bridge by the Malt House & then past Brindley Place & under the Broad Street bridge to Gas Street Basin.

This picture taken off an internet search is the same view, albeit at night -

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=BB2B7041BE55D69C49DE6217B36DDF1DC1986303&thid=OIP.lUfHYoZ2zE31MrcVsqTlUwHaE7&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedias.photodeck.com%2Fc20e13de-f464-11e2-aae2-7b8b41f37a49%2F07PW0306_002_xlarge.jpg&exph=533&expw=800&q=birmingham+canal+bt+tower&selectedindex=11&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2019, 10:14:06 PM »
With regard to some of the bewilderment about barge or narrowboat , I was told by a gentleman that had just bought a canal craft , if it was under a certain footage in length it was a barge , over a certain footage it was a narrowboat . Only just nothiced this thread sorry for the delay with the reply
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
I think a Barge is for carrying cargo and a Narrowboat is for pleasure.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2019, 09:17:41 AM »
It's by the Flapper & Firkin (it would be on the right of the picture) - funnily enough, I walked along there on the way into work one morning last week.  I got off the bus on Summer Row to get on to the canal & walked along what would be the left hand side of your picture towards where you took the picture from before crossing over the bridge by the Malt House & then past Brindley Place & under the Broad Street bridge to Gas Street Basin......

Thanks Judy, great night shot.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

frederick

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
The out goings ££££ for people that have boats and some live on them is more than for a house. It costs around £2,000 a year just to be on the water.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy