Author Topic: Prince of Wales Lane, Yardley Wood  (Read 68423 times)

9teen48

Prince of Wales Lane, Yardley Wood
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of the old cottages and houses in Prince of Wales Lane, Yardley Wood ?  In particular I am interested in the stretch from School Road to the Warstock pub at the junction with Yardley Wood Road, but anything around that crossroads would be nice to see, including the pub.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Prince of Wales Lane, Yardley Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »
Hi Brian,

It seems I missed this one, Here are a couple of photos of Prince of wales Lane.

I have two memories of this road, one was it was where my grandparents on my mothers side ended their days in the old peoples flats up by the Recreation Grounds after spending most of their lifetime in Balsall Heath.

The second memory is of demolishing a little cottage opposite Gorleston Rd. It was so tiny that we didn't even use any machinery or plant on the job. We just took it down by hand and loaded it on to a lorry and took it away. We even sold most of it.

The photos are The Warstock Public House and I think it's the Co op shop in Prince of Wales Lane.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »
one or two things that i remember about that area is the Avon pub thats what it used to be called and place called the Garth ho yes and the swings at the bottom on the left and on the other side of the road by the bus terminus the park roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
Phil and Roy,

Thanks both for your posts.  The photos are very interesting.  My wife's great-grandparents on her mother's side lived in Warstock Cottages, which is a row of 4 cottages visible in your picture to the left of The Warstock.  That's a nice story about demolishing the little cottage by hand Phil, I'm sure there were many such cottages around the rural fringe of Brum.

This is a postcard I found of cottages and a lane in Yardley Wood but I haven't identified the location.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
Brian

Nice photo, it has the look of Prince of Wales Lane as well, but I have no doubt that there were many similar lanes in Yardley Wood at that time.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Widds

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
My grandparents lived in Price of Wales Lane for many years.  I was born there in 1941...as was my father many years before. Sadly it has all changed now but the memories remain...Does anyone remember the little row of shops near to the Warstock Pub?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
Hi Widds

Welcome to our forum, here is a photo of the Co op in Prince of Wales Lane back in 1956.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »
I haven,t seen this post before, and recognised the cottages straight away...They are still standing as you can see from this.

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

pickard.r

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »
And here you can see that the only thing to survive from the pub is the sign

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

shirley finnerty

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »
Hi everyone, I too was born and lived in the Warstock area.    There weren't any shops next to the Warstock pub.  The pub itself was on the crossroads of Prince of Wales Lane and Yardley Wood Road.     Across the road and a small island, was a row of shops, there was a sweet and tobacco shop owned by Arthur Currier and his partner (cannot remember the man's name).    Arthur's wife was named Jean.    Next to that shop was a beautiful cake and bread shop called Trevors.    Next door was the butchers - Norman Avery.    There was also a greengrocers.   Just the 4 shops. Opposite the pub on the other corner were a row of prefabs.    If you walked up Prince of Wales Lane towards Maypole Lane, you came to a row of shops on the right hand side.    About 7 shops in total - Hills the shoe shop, Goughs the sweet shop, a TV and radio shop, a haberdashery run by a lovely old lady.     Further on, was the Co-op and the Manager was a Mr Lewis.    Sometimes we had groceries  delivered to our home by a young lad on a bike.     The Co-op fascinated me, the bacon counter, the smells of the shop, money was handed over for the items purchased and put into a canister and then placed into the chute which sent it up and across the ceiling of the shop into the paybox opposite the counter.   Fascinating.    Further on were more shops which included the post office.    Who else remembers the pig farm almost next door to the Warstock Pub - along Yardley Wood Road?    There were open fields at the back of Loxley Avenue and you could walk through them to get to the top end of Prince of Wales Lane and the Co-op.     Great fields for all us children to play in.    There was also a football club that would have matches on a Sunday.     Happy days.     If you walked past the Warstock Pub down towards Christ Church, there was a row of cottages - maybe 6 in total.   At the end of the cottages was a small hut and you could get your shoes repaired there by Mr Hands.    Further on were 4 little shops including the bookies.   

mgm

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
Happy memories these of Warstock in the late 40s, 50s and early 60s. I remember to the left of the Warstock pub there were a row of shops, one of which was the bookies, Jim Parker. Many a time I was sent down with the money wrapped in a homemade betting slip. This was passed secretly in the street to a man in an overcoat. Later, I may be sent back to the collect winnings from the shop. All the bets were placed using a nom-de-plume so you had to say something like "ten shillings, spudm". Betting of this sort was illegal in those days Happy times!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy