Author Topic: Prince of Wales Lane, Yardley Wood  (Read 68435 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Prince of Wales Lane, Yardley Wood
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »
Hi mgm & shirley,

Welcome both to the forum, I drove up Prince of Wales Lane yesterday on the way to the Vets at Wythall. I notice how much it had changed in the last 20 or so years let alone the last 40 or 50.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Widds

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
I too remember having to go to the bookies runner to take my nans little bets! This must have been in the middle 40's 50's.  Later as was mentioned we went to the bookies shop....times have changed I was only 6/7 years old at the time!
My nan and grandad lived opposite the allotments...as young children, during the war we lived with our grandparents.....The little shops left of the Warstock, there was a little clothes shop, Mrs Simonite...A second hand shop, I believe Mr Gooch (?) He had a horse and trap! A butchers shop...I too remember the bread delivered by horse and van...I think it was Hawleys bakery....Happy days!

shirley finnerty

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »
immediately next to the Warstock Pub was a row of small terraced cottages.   does anyone remember the gentleman  who owned the shoe repair shop at the end of the cottages, tucked at the end of the path?   then there were the shops - the bookies, an old fashioned sweet shop and at one time a drapers next to the sweet shop.     In later years, these became, butchers, ?, betting shop and cafe with barbers above.   

Robert

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »
Only just discovered this site so this reply may be nebulous, however in reply to Roy,s remarks. The pub in the area was in fact "The Haven" and not the avon as written, it was demolished i think in the ninetees, and a elderly care home replaces it.The shops in the prince of wales lane did exist just a little below the area in the photographs, in fact one or two still survive, the cafe with barber shop above is still in use and at least one other still used i think by a pest control company. The area lower than this toward school road for many years was occupied by Laughtons factory, a major employer in the local area. This was demolished together with some engineering factories. The whole area has since been re developed as a new housing complex in about 2010 to present. I am very interested in any old photographs or memories of just around the corner in Yardley wood road of Warstock cottage now numbered 1156. any info gratefully received. Robert.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum, sorry I am unable to help you with any photos of that end of Yardley Wood Rd. Thought I can put one up of the Haven public House.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
thanks for putting the name of the pub right roy
reply to Roy,s remarks. The pub in the area was in fact "The Haven"
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

shirley finnerty

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »
hi Robert and all.   Laughtons was down Warstock Road, leading onto Alcester Road.   Also down Warstock Road was Stern & Bell and Wirax.   Does anyone remember these companies.    Hawleys was the bakery who used to deliver and we had Hawleys bakery deliver to our home.    As you came off Alcester Road into Warstock Road, you had the factorieson the left, Wirax, Stern and Bell, etc.  at the top of the road was Highters Heath School to the right and to the left were a row of shops, including Flints, Timpsons, and a few other shops.   Turn left onto the Yardley Wood Road and you had the bus garage.   Down the bottom of the hill was the Valley Public House, turn left there to go to the cinema - called The Tudor Picture House or the "Bug Hutch" as it was affectionately known!!!!

planetmalc

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
It's changed a bit since, Shirley: the bus garage is still there, but the Valley pub has been replaced by some modern housing and the Bug Hutch is just a memory.    On the other hand, Billesley Common is as good for kids as it ever was.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Robert

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
Hello again , i am still looking for early pics of Yardley Wood Cottage. Built in the early eighteen hundreds it must be one of the oldest dwellings in the warstock area. I must offer opologies for my earlier comments in my last post i stupidly said that Laughtons factory was in Prince of Wales lane. As Shirley pointed out that factory was in Warstock Road the buildings remain still but under different owners. The factory in Prince of wales Lane was Of coarse Messrs Elbief sorry about that slip it comes with age i am afraid.  many thanks Robert.

vauxonion

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
I don,t know this area at all well and haven,t been this way for years.Many years ago very late 50s early 60s I remember going to do some work on what I can remember was an old disused Cinema or small theatre or was it an old Church Hall. It was at the junction of Haunch Lane and Yardley Wood Rd. Can anyone refresh my memory.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
Dek

I think it could only have been the Tudor, that closed in 1962.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy