Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144159 times)

Whitty

Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
Anyone remember " The Scorpion " Kings Heath?,next to the Station pub

I remember the scorpion although I only used it once
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
yes I used the place a few times in the 60s I could not find a photo of the place has it was but this is how it looks today

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

pat11

« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2016, 07:49:36 PM »
Leo

Can you remember this coffee bar just up the road from the Las Vegas, I have no memory of it, though it is dated 1959, From the looks of the other photo it looks like they had started demolition and the area of this coffee bar. It looks like it was the first to go, Wasn't it where they put that multi storey car park?

That was the La Fiesta.  I was there regularly because my then boyfriend worked there.  It was opposite the Shakespeare Pub which is still there to this day.  It was demolished between 1959 and 1960.  It was whilst 'our gang' were regulars at the La Fiesta that a gentleman came in one night and asked us kids if it was a good idea to open a coffee bar a bit further down and whether it would take off.  We said yes great idea so he did but unfortunately the atmosphere wasn't right and it was never as popular as the La Fiesta. Subsequently it was mostly frequented during the day by the 'squares'!!
Kindness is the best feature

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2016, 07:53:21 PM »
Pat

That is obviously why I had no memory of it, as I said it must have been at least 60 or 61 when I was using the Las Vegas for the short time that I did.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #389 on: November 30, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
Roy, the family that owned it , when the Disco was downstairs, used to appear in a TV soap. I think it was called United and was on early evenings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United!
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Whitty

« Reply #390 on: November 30, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
Looked it up United was 1965/1967
The cellar known as Brum beat cavern
 I was only their when live groups where on
I didn't know that they had disco nights

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #391 on: December 01, 2016, 12:25:01 PM »
I realise that this is a Birmingham forum but I feel that the 2i’s coffee bar in Soho, London can not go unmentioned – unless it has already been featured.

For a short time, from 1956, it was probably the most famous music venue in Britain. It had a basement with live music that inspired teenagers throughout the Country. Initially, the resident group was the Vipers skiffle group, my favourites because I always thought they were more authentic than Lonnie Donegan. Also, several recording stars were discovered here i.e. Tommy Steele, Cliff Richard, Hank Marvin, Adam Faith, Joe Brown and many more.

One Friday night in January 1961, a small group of us from the Midland Jazz Club travelled to the Lyceum Ballroom in London to go to an all night jazz ball. The following morning, we went to the 2i’s coffee bar but were quite disappointed to find it almost empty with no atmosphere. probably because all the rock’n’rollers were still in bed, and by this time, I think the 2i’s had lost its popularity. It closed in 1970
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

maltablue

« Reply #392 on: December 01, 2016, 02:08:08 PM »
Whitty, they only had "Disco" nights mid week, when it was quiet. A lad called Arthur used to do it. Later he became a licensee, had the Mitre at Nechells.

Whitty

« Reply #393 on: December 01, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
Maltablue , I drank in the Mitre afew times with an old mate
That would be in the 1970s
 I only used the cavern at weekend's when live groups were on

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #394 on: December 02, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
As this topic was on danger of going off thread, I have split it and moved it to The Lounge where I have re-named the new thread Hitch Hiking in the UK. The fault for the thread going off topic was entirely down to me this is why I have moved it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #395 on: December 02, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »
Whitty, may have seen you in there. Used to work for a fruit machine and juke box company in the late sixties and seventies, so may have been there, whilst you were having a slurrp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy