Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144099 times)

Whitty

Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #396 on: December 02, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »
Yes but if our paths crossed we probably would not recognise each other anyway O0
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #397 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »
Maltablue

Did you know Jack Woolley who used to work in the same game, for a bloke called Joe I think who operated out of a café in Adderley Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #398 on: December 02, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
Phil, name does not ring a bell. There were a lot of small operators around at the time. Most of the equipment I maintained was in pubs and clubs. I worked for Burton Coin ( became Associated Leisure ),Gainsmead, Chalwest and Ditchburn. Most small operators did the cafes
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #399 on: December 02, 2016, 05:07:07 PM »
Maltablue

If you had met Jack then you wouldn't have forgot him, he was that type of person always fooling around. He worked mainly in clubs pubs and coffee houses. Mind you so did the majority of the one armed bandit, pinball and Juke box crowd as you would well know. Another outfit I knew in that game were The Cooks a father & son outfit on Moseley Road next to the Castle and Falcon I knew the father from the days that he had a snooker hall, but the son went into partnership with my niece when she purchased the lease of Peter Pans Restaurant in Walsall. Though when it became apparent that he was only interested in putting as many one arm bandits in the place that he could she sold up and bought another place in Birmingham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Phil, I don't remember the one by the Castle, but small operator started up in the early seventies, called Dransfield. It was on the Ladypool Rd., just up from the lights by the park.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #401 on: December 06, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
Leo

Another photo of the Las Vegas, I think this one must be later than the previous one.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Whitty

« Reply #402 on: December 06, 2016, 03:57:57 PM »
Yes Phil although higher up it had a neon sign for the Golden Nugget night club
Cheers for the photo
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #403 on: December 19, 2016, 11:27:04 PM »

Just listened to 'Tommy Steele at 80 ' on Radio 2 where he described how he went to the 2i's coffee bar on the opening night and was discovered by an agent. Two weeks later he recorded 'Rock with the Caveman' which immediately went into the charts
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

John B

« Reply #404 on: January 05, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
Hello I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been lookimg everywhere for any pictures of the Drucker's in the Piccadilly Arcade. I grew up in Dudley (although I now live in the city centre) and my mother would take me to that Drucker's when we came in to town. I remember thinking how sophisticated it was but can't find a picture anywhere!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #405 on: January 05, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
Hi JohnB

Welcome to the forum, I take it that you want photos of Drucker's shop in the Great Western Arcade & Temple Row. You don't give any indication of your age so its hard to work out what year you are looking for. I'm pretty sure that Drucker's didn't open their shop in the arcade before the 80's. So as my collection of photos pretty well ends at the beginning of the 80's all I can suggest is you take a look at this link.

https://www.druckers.co.uk/great-western.aspx

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

John B

« Reply #406 on: January 05, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
Thank you Phil.
There was another Druckers in the Piccadilly Arcade! I think it would have closed around the time the Great Western Arcade one opened so it may have been a replacement.
My memories of the Piccadilly Arcade one would date to the late 70s or early 80s. It was tiny and decorated with Andre Drucker's own paintings - I think they may have been for sale.
It was probably dated even then and maybe got too tired to be done up.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy