Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144106 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
hi 9teen48  did you know that there was another cafe just up from Smokey's called the bonanza i bet you have not got a picture of that one ha ha :D O0  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
Hi Roy,

I remember the Bonanza, never went there. Will have a look to see if I have a picture.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
Brian

While you are looking for Roy's Bonanza Cafe, have a look to see if you have one of the Medina Coffee Bar on the corner of Edward Rd and George St Balsall Heath. I've been after one for years.

Phil.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
Phil,

I'll have a look.

Brian

potblack

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 05:32:37 PM »
I used to like the Firebird  Jazz Club (Carrs Lane). There was a coffee bar called Gerzons on the ground floor.
Then there was the Sombrero coffee bar - with it's hissing expresso machines and the musty Club 12 next door. Both on the Horsefair.
There was a coffee bar under Rowens the bespoke gents outfitters at the corner of New Street and Christchurch Passage where the steps led up to Waterloo Street. 
There was also a coffee bar that was in the basement under a gent's outfitters in Bennetts Hill. Does anyone recall the name?
Can anyone remember the basement bar called James'  or Jimmy’s on New Street - opposite the Kardomah?

CAROLINA

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »
Didnt The Sombrero have a certain following of people??

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 12:54:09 PM »
hi CAROLINA    yes it did most was the teddy boys and a few bikers  the dress code was  boot lace tie drain pips  thick crape sole shoes some had bright coloured  socks d/a hair cut pulled down at the front three quarter length jacket with swayed collar most was black but a few had blue

the girls had bee nest hair  stick out skirt thick belt round the wast some had flat shoes some had high heels and the dance was jive thats has much has i can remember  roy

CAROLINA

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »
Roy I thought in the 60s it had a more shall we say 'feminine' touch?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »
hi  CAROLINA  sorry but i can only remember it from about 1957 

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Café's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »
Hi Carolina

In the early 60's the Sombrero was used mainly by pseudo arty types and what you might call the beat generation. When it moved with the times it later became a mod hang out. Like all cafés and coffee bars of its time it had a reputation that very much exceeded its reality.

If you are hinting that it was a hang out of the Gay scene, then if so it was no more than any other coffee bar. It wasn't until very many years later that the area became known for that type of scene.

In fact I think in the early 60's if you wanted that sort of action it centred around Hurst St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

CAROLINA

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
Thanks Phil - I was trying to be PC.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy