Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144116 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #407 on: January 05, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »
I notice that there is a print of Manet's classic painting on the wall (as shown in my reply 365).
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

John B

« Reply #408 on: January 05, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »
Thanks Ian
Does this mean there is a picture on here? Is your reply 365 in this thread?
Not sure how to find it - new to this forum - but I'll have a look.
John

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #409 on: January 05, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »
Hi John

My reply is on page 34 of this Topic and it refers to Andre Drucker's 'La Boheme' coffee bar which opened in the late 1950's and was possibly his first venture into this line of business

Ian

John B

« Reply #410 on: January 05, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »
Thanks Ian,  I have seen it then. I have a feeling a print of that picture may have been in the Piccadiily Arcade one as well. John

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #411 on: January 05, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »
I think Drucker's opened their first shop on St Mary's Row in Moseley in 1964, the second was on the Piccadilly Arcade and the third on High Street Erdington the following year. Since then they have spread out over the country, isn't this new place Patisserie Valerie something to do with Druckers?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #412 on: January 05, 2017, 05:36:27 PM »
Thanks Phil, you are a mine of information.

Andy Capp

« Reply #413 on: January 14, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »
Hi Phil.Have you any photos of the cafe in Dean Street opposite the fruit market

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #414 on: January 14, 2017, 11:51:51 PM »
Andy

Didn't I look a few years back, and couldn't come up with what you were looking for? Plenty of water has passed under the bridge since then so just remind me of roughly the year and confirm it was Dean Street and not Upper Dean Street and a name would be helpful then I'll take another look.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

aerosolarabic

« Reply #415 on: March 11, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »

Message for 'potblack' really keen to hear more about your experience at Johns Restaurant, would you be interested in sharing more detail?

As you say Phil there were all sorts of watering holes.
John's restaurant in Steelhouse Lane was where we used to finish up after walking from the Tower in Edgbaston.
Alternatively, we had a pie and Bovril from the mobile canteen in front of Snow Hill station.
I took my future wife to the Firebird Club (Carrs Lane) on our first date. There was a coffee bar called Gerzons on the ground floor.
We started off at a coffee bar that was in the basement under a gent's outfitters in Bennetts Hill. Does anyone recall the name?
( There was a coffee bar under Rowens the bespoke gents outfitters at the corner of New Street and Christchurch Passage where the steps led up to Waterloo Street. That's not the one )
Then we went on to the Imperial and the Burlington.
Can anyone remember the basement bar called Jimmys on New Street - opposite the Kardomah?  It may have been St James' Bar or similar.
As anyone mentioned the Sombrero coffee bar - with it's hissing expresso machines and the musty Club 12 next door. Both on the Horsefair.

townie

« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
Here I go again. I have noticed that we have a lot of new members on the forum which is great. I was wondering if anyone had any photos of the Ringway Club or Mexicarno café Bromsgrove Street. Here's hoping. Sorry for the repeat posting but you never know.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #417 on: May 17, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
I know we have had cafes on Broad Street before, The Tow rope, Rendezvous but does anyone remember Appolonia café? Thank you.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy