Author Topic: Records Bull Ring.  (Read 7787 times)

wiseman

Re: Records Bull Ring.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »
Hi, and thanks for this, i think my Grand Father may have had a stall in The Bull Ring, he lived at 211 Barford st from 1914, Morris England, my brother said he was a soap box preacher, Phill found a photo of an old chap that could be Morris.

I have been able to trace my Grand Mother and 12 children, but Morris is elusive.

He may of used the names: Maurice or Barnett, he would have been 65 in 1958 the year that Florence died.

I want to know when he died and where he is buried. ?

Please spread the word and lets find Morris, thank you.

Rob.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mikejee

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
Rob
In the online electoral rolls there is a Maurice England at no 8 court 27 Sherlock St in 1920-1935
In 1920 he alone was listed, in 1925-1935 also Florence England , In 1930 and 1935 he describes himself as Barnett Maurice England. In 1939 he (transcribed in list as Barrett Maurice England) is with Florence but at at 40 Whittingham Oval . In 1945 he is still at no 40 with Florence  but lists himself as Barnett M.England, In 1950 they are still there, but also Pauline & Iris England. The online rolls don’t go past 1950
Hope that is useful
Mike

wiseman

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:34:05 PM »
Mike,

thank you for this, this is "outstanding" news, I gather that Maurice does not list his other children, is there any other source that can provide links with the Bull Ring and possible Date of Death?
Rob.

mikejee

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
Rob
I'm afraid, other than those suggestions previously on the forum, I haven’t any other suggestions at present. You mention his not mentioning his other children. You should remember that this information comes from the electoral roll, so will only list those registered to vote at that address. Thy would have to be eligible to vote both from living there and form being over the voting age . I presume Pauline and Iris are his children. Their listing shows they were living there at that time. However before they were old enough to vote (21 I think at that time) they would not have been listed.mike

wiseman

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »
Mike,

Of course, only the children old enough to vote! iv'e googled 40 Whittingham Oval,
see what l can find out, once again thank you.
Rob.

wiseman

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04:46 AM »
 The Elusive Morris England.

Thank you for your email relating to stall holders at the Bull Ring market, and in particular your grandfather, Morris England.  I have looked through the indexes available in the Archives and Heritage section and have found that we do hold commitee minutes relating to the markets, from 1851-1974.   Unfortunately there are no indexes to the minutes and although it is possible that they contain information regarding stall holders licences,  you would need to search through them by date, with there being no guarantee that you would find any information of use to you.
There are also some birmingham market records at MS619, and although these are unlikely to contain any reference to your grandfather, they may be of a more general interest to you.  If you would like to email me your address I will send you a copy of the list of records at MS619.  If there are any items on it that look to be of interest, please let us know two weeks or more before you plan to visit, so that an archivist can assess both the condition of the records, and also whether there is any sensitive information that would be closed to public view.
The market committee minutes and MS619 would be served in a special archival "secure area" and you would need a national archives (CARN) ticket to enter this area.  The "secure area" has different opening hours to the rest of the library, and I am attaching details of these, and the CARN ticket, to this email, so that you can read them prior to any visit to the library.

I hope that this information is helpful to you,

denise

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
Seems you are having results Rob,are you going to follow through at the Library?

wiseman

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
Of course, it would be rude of me not to!
Rob. :)

denise

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
LOL  ;D

will be interested to know what you find out  :)

wiseman

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »
You will be the first to find out! :D
Rob.

wiseman

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
The Elusive Morris England.

You also enquired about electoral registers, and the Archives and Heritage section does hold copies of the Birmingham electoral registers from 1832-2001.  The rolls from 1832 -1919 are on microfilm, as are the absent voters lists from 1918-1923/26.  The electoral registers from 1920-2001 are available in hard copy.  There are no name index to the lists, but street indexes are available for a large number of years.  Should you wish to visit the library to look at the electoral regsiters, they would be served in the open access area and would be available in the normal library opening hours.  I would strongly advise you to phone and book a microfilm reader in advance of any visit, as we do get very busy.  The telephone number is 0121 303 4549. Alternatively, a search could be undertaken on your behalf by the genealogist, Mrs Doreen Hopwood, who works on a fee paying basis, for which the current charges are £25.00 per hour.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy