Author Topic: Records Bull Ring.  (Read 7780 times)

johnbird

Re: Records Bull Ring.
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »
I worked For John Moore at the Bull Ring Market in the 1970's, selling fruit and veg.
Hard work but great fun.

Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

rosinae

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
Hi Everyone my Dad was a stall holder in the fifties,  he liked to be called a barrow boy though  his barrow was always on the side of road by the meat market, us as children were always in the sorting yard  taking off the old leaves on the cabbages and sprouts bloody horrible job my mom used to help there as well at weekends
when the barrow boys lost the stall rights they built those fancy little stalls at the top of the bull ring and my dad worked for somebody else, his name was Benny Bond he loved a drink and sometimes went over the top he loved a good argument as well but it got him into trouble quite often
my thoughts on the Bull ring now are gone only my memories of the true Brummy Barrow Boys are still there

wiseman

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 09:22:25 AM »
Hi, thanks for this, do you recall the soap box preacher?

Rob.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

rosinae

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
Hi Ron yes I do the preacher was always up top part of town and I know we  made fun of him but we were only kids and had no idea what he was on about
what I miss most is the ragmarket banter I bought 11 of my friends from kent to my cousins 70th party and I took them to the Bullring I was very dissapointed at the way everything has changed  but again I still have my memories

wiseman

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
Hi Ros,

Thanks for this, don't suppose you have got any old pics?

Rob. :)

rosinae

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »
Hi Wiseman roy ben or tramp are the guys you need they are fantastic with infomation and photo's
they certainly know a lot of the history of brum and the  bullring t
when I first joined the forum I wanted to know about the barrow boys and the Bullring and low and behold lovely pictures came my way roy ben or tramp can you help Wiseman

wiseman

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »
Hi Ros, yes the guys do have a wonderful collection of old pics, was wondering if you had any.

Do you rember a barrow boy called England in the 50s.

Rob. :)

tramp

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 02:52:14 AM »
Please forgive me for not welcoming you to the forum before now  wiseman - it's because I often see little of it in detail for days at a time, and when I'm online I'm often more likely to be on the phone or on another PC as well.  Rosinae's recommendation of me in the same breath as Phil and Roy is totally undeserved as I've not set foot in brum for over 50 years nor lived there properly for longer, and most of all - all my photos are from Phil in the main, and a few other kind souls.  But if there is any way I can help, like most of us in here, I'll be glad to.

tramp

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 10:38:38 AM »
hi wisman welcome to the forum

Phil is your main man for pictures hes got loads so he might help you out on that one

now  back in the 50s i was one of the kids that used to do the tea run i used to get the tea cans go to the fagget and pea cafe in Jamaica row and get them filled for the men

i some times would meet them round the sorting yard and help them sort the veg and fruit  i would open a box of toms and sort the soft ones out and put them in an empty tom box i would some times have a knife and cut the spars off the Colly's and on a Saturday night i would go home with a bag full of fruit and veg and a few bob for doing all the odd jobs  my nick name was skinny  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

wiseman

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »
Hi Guys and Girls,

I worked in the fish market in the 60s when i was a teenager, i had a Saturday job.

One of my jobs was to shell the whelks, and another one was to boil the crabs.

I also helped with the shell food counter.

Happy Days. ;D

9teen48

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
Hi all,

Here is a link to the BiritishPathe website, which shows a brief black and white clip of the Bull Ring Centre in 1964.
www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=43295

There are many more Birmingham related film clips on this website, some colour and some with sound.  Well worth a search for whatever Brum topic you are interested in.

Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy