Author Topic: if you could chang england what would you do  (Read 8133 times)

Jacqueline

Re: if you could chang england what would you do
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 11:43:21 PM »
Yes it is too late. We are now told we cannot smack our kids.

Graham

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 11:44:09 PM »
Changes in the UK that I look forward to seeing are a return to the common-sense and wisdom of our grandparents and more 'primitive' societies, but keeping the best of improvements that there have been in our society. On looking back on life, many say that the mid/late-1950s were the best time we've known,

John, that is just the kind of thing I was implying on my thread "are Brummies the rudest people in the UK". If you read on I advocate starting in the street by looking at each other, smiling and saying hallo! All this has become quite impossible, ("but I'm a dreamer") of course, as have the return of family values. If you try and be friendly in a UK street today, they think you're thick, senile, gay or looking for a punch down the froat.

That's what I would change in the UK. The return of family values and being kind and considerate to each other. As I say (and J.L. , not you J_L, the one from Liverpool) "I'm a dreamer, but not the only one".

Graham

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 11:54:51 PM »
but what point did it start to go wrong

Roy, it started going wrong before our time, just look at Punch & Judy as an example. Making (British) kids laugh by bashing each other over the head with a truncheon ???. Just this Christmas, on BBC TV, there was this woman giving Rudolf a bashing on his red nose and she didn't stop! What a laugh and good fun ???. They just don't get it do they, makes me sick!

Boomer

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 04:46:31 AM »
Like Graham, I, too, lament the loss of family values and civility.  The loss of those two things is indeed great.  We are, it seems, entering a new dark age.  The real question is, "Can a nation lose those things and still survive?  I don't know.  But the good news is that just as those treasures were gotten once, they can be gotten again, and in much the same way.  The best place to start, of course, is inside our own skin, and inside our own homes, which seems a worthy project for '07.
Live well; laugh often; love with all your heart.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 09:31:07 AM »
While we cannot disciplin our kids we will never get rid of the yob culture. ???

There are ways, Jacqueline, and they are actively being applied through many schools and parents. It's called Education in Human Values (EHV). And it's VERY successful, but the approach does need to be increased to many other parts of the country.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

John_Lerwill

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 09:42:35 AM »
Changes in the UK that I look forward to seeing are a return to the common-sense and wisdom of our grandparents and more 'primitive' societies, but keeping the best of improvements that there have been in our society. On looking back on life, many say that the mid/late-1950s were the best time we've known,

John, that is just the kind of thing I was implying on my thread "are Brummies the rudest people in the UK". If you read on I advocate starting in the street by looking at each other, smiling and saying hallo! All this has become quite impossible, ("but I'm a dreamer") of course, as have the return of family values. If you try and be friendly in a UK street today, they think you're thick, senile, gay or looking for a punch down the froat.

That's what I would change in the UK. The return of family values and being kind and considerate to each other. As I say (and J.L. , not you J_L, the one from Liverpool) "I'm a dreamer, but not the only one".

Spot on, Graham. Please see my reply to Jacqueline, above.

I find that to go around with a smile on my face does produce positive responses in people! Haven't always been of that mind, mind you - must be something to do with my Brummie upbringing!!! (he dives for cover!  :-*)

Most of us take life far too seriously - with consequent negative impact on those around us and on our health - and it often takes a serious health condition to remind us of our mortality, and, hey!, we might not have many years left, so we might as well enjoy our remaining stay...

(That's not an advertisement for boozing though!  ;)

It looks as though our thinking has dovetailed in the same direction, Graham, but since we're born within 3 months of one another, that's not too surprising, perhaps!

John_Lerwill

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 09:46:37 AM »
Like Graham, I, too, lament the loss of family values and civility.  The loss of those two things is indeed great.  We are, it seems, entering a new dark age.  The real question is, "Can a nation lose those things and still survive?  I don't know.  But the good news is that just as those treasures were gotten once, they can be gotten again, and in much the same way.  The best place to start, of course, is inside our own skin, and inside our own homes, which seems a worthy project for '07.

Spot on! But, en contraire, I believe we're entering a new brilliant age - NOT a dark age as seems to be the case. We may have some rocky years to experience before the light comes through, but we will get there. After many earthquakes and a few more tsunamis perhaps...

john2000

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »
Talking of old values, what happend to Midlands counties Icecream, and I heard that you can still get a walls icecream. is that true. ?? ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

John_Lerwill

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 10:11:50 AM »
Talking of old values, what happend to Midlands counties Icecream, and I heard that you can still get a walls icecream. is that true. ?? ;D

You mean Dag Haas hasn't got to your area yet, John?  ;)

But why are we talking about our tummies?  :'(

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »
education works we had a wall out side out house and it was a meeting place for the kids(yobs) they would drink there can and play up if you said any thing you would get a brick through your windows we was at out wits end so i made a mix of jam water and sugar and spread it on the inside of the wall the wasps come by the 100s they found out that wasps sting and stings hurt and they kept away so education works now if they got a few stings at home(slap) or a few stings at school(stick) would they not get education
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

John_Lerwill

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 11:01:09 AM »
 :D

As always, Roy, we seem to be diametrically apart! Not that I haven't applied a few smart slaps myself, but it all has to be more than balanced by positive actions. And EHV does work without applying the slaps or the stick.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy