Author Topic: The Electric Cinema in Birmingham is the oldest working cinema  (Read 7795 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Electric Cinema in Birmingham is the oldest working cinema
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »
Mike

It was only refitted in 1936/37 it sill remains the oldest working purpose built cinema.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »
:)
Jacey had TWO News Theatres in Birmingham and also the Cinephone Cinema in Bristol Street. I joined the News Theatre in High Street as a trainee projectionist in 1957 and closed this lovely cinema in Easter 1960.  :)

Colin, when I was a kid, I used to love watching the scrolling news display at the top-front of the High Street News Theatre.    Do you know how the information was input into this system?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Colin J Brookes

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 01:00:15 AM »
I have just typed out at considerable length a full account of the sigh and the cinema too, which took me ages- and when I came to send it, the whole lot just disappeared into the ether, needless to say I am miffed! Sorry but I will have another go perhaps over the weekend unless this lot goes the same way. Damned technology!
Colin
News Theatre 1957-1960 :)   

mikejee

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 10:02:45 AM »
Colin
Always advisable for a long piece of work to write it in a word processing program and then copy and paste into the forum. I, and I am sure a lot of others also, will sympathise, it having happened to them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:23 AM »
Colin

Another good tip is to use "notepad" as opposed to "word" as it turns out better with less format problems or so I have been told by our administrator Chris.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Sidecarsid

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »
I remember back when it was called the Jacey  as in the photo, I spent many a happy time watching LOONEY-TOONS you could keep on watching them over and over again and never got feed up watching them, they knocked the Disney cartoons into a cocked hat.

My Dad

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 02:41:51 PM »
Hi everyone

I know it's been a while since this topic was replied to however as my father used to work as a projectionist at the Electric Cinema in Station Road in Birmingham City Centre and he sadly recently passed away (in early April) due to hospital negligence. I would like to respect his memories by replying to this post.

My father held a number of jobs all at once. However he'd worked in cinemas for many years and just after he left school in the 1960's.

He worked at The Jacey Cinema which as you probably all know was then renamed as The Electric Cinema. My dad had a great sense of humor. He always made jokes and wanted people to laugh.

He always had an interest in cinemas and projectors. He loved 2 way sound systems too that would make the TV sound around his room as if it was a cinema.

Many people knew my dad as he was very sociable and would talk to everyone

Thank you for reading

Spud

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 03:33:07 PM »
I believe The Electric Cinema is the oldest working Cinema in the UK but it has had a few names
Opening in 1909  it was The Electric Cinema
In 1921 changed is name to The Select
 In 1937 became The Tatler News Theatre
 In the 50s became The Jacey Cartoon Cinema
 In the 60s  became The Jacey Film Theatre
 In the 70s became part of The Classic Group of Cinemas
 In 80s became The Tivoli .
A change of ownership in 1993 brought back it's original name The Electric Cinema
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy