Author Topic: should we have the right to end our own life  (Read 2824 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
should we have the right to end our own life
« on: December 28, 2006, 08:53:04 PM »
should we have the right to end our own life if we have a dog or a cat that we love to bits its hard but out of love and kindness we have them put to sleep if the vet can not help them in any way and thay are in pain   should our love ones have the same right to end there pain  what do you think?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Graham

Re: should we have the right to end our own life
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:31:14 PM »
Roy, I live in a country where we we do have the right to say "It's enough". I think that we in Belgium were the second country in the world, after our neighbors the Dutch, to make euthanasia legal. I find it very comforting to know that I can get off the bus if I want to.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/1992018.stm

I have it from very high-up that it is practiced in England too, they don't tend to let people suffer more than necessary, be sure of that. If you want that right to be made legal, then fight for your rights and good luck.

http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

spyro2000

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:52:13 PM »
Im not really up on this subject, so I will apologise in advance for an unedjucated view point.

In a way we do have the right to end our own lives. As long as you do it right with no mistakes and get it edone first time, then what can the Government do? You are gone, you wont be punished.
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »
Permit me to give give a dissenting answer with a theological justifcation.  We say, rightly so, that what a person buys belongs to that person.  They purchased it; they own it, as with, say, a home or a bicycle.  We say as well that what a person makes belongs to that person.  They made it, they own it; as with, say, a painting they produce.  We also say, with regard to what some call "squatters rights," that we cannot despoil a person of his or her domicile.  They live there; it's their home.  By the same token, I would argue, (speaking theologically) God made us; we belong to him.  He bought us (in the death of Christ); we belong to him.  His Spirit lives within us; we are his dwelling place.  We belong to him.  So, at least theologicaly, I would argue that we do not belong to oureselves; we belong to God.  We are trebly his:  by creation, by pruchase and by indwelling.  If so, we have no right to kill what belongs to God.  At least that's the way I think it through.
Live well; laugh often; love with all your heart.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 07:47:33 PM »
Mmmm....

It does depend on how you perceive our relationship to God, I suggest, Boomer. Your definition seems clear, but Vedanta says that we are Gods also - the microcosm - in relation to God the macrocosm. The Bible says, I think, that we are created in God's image. Therefore our bodies are not real - they are containers - you cannot kill the soul.

If it is accepted that Love is all there is, and the rest is Maya (illusion), then might not the application of Love be to relieve unnecessary suffering, in whatever form it takes.

I think it's a question that we have to ask within our purest selves, and [censored]*** theology.

It does depend on which belief platform you are on, I suggest.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

john2000

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 08:11:20 PM »
if a dog or any animal is in so much pain, then you would put it down, but if a human has a Cancer thats eating away at their inside then should we let them suffer ? or ease the suffering by putting them to sleep. too.
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 08:34:01 PM »
if a dog or any animal is in so much pain, then you would put it down, but if a human has a Cancer thats eating away at their inside then should we let them suffer ? or ease the suffering by putting them to sleep. too.

I think you make a good point, John, one quite well worth making.  But on another level, isn't your argument saying that we should treat people like dogs?  The life of a human is, it seems to me, worth more than a dog's and is, for that reason, not to be taken away (or given) on the same basis.

It would be interesting to me to see if those who argue against capital punishment argue in favor of euthanasia, as if taking the life of a murderer is evil but taking the life of a loved one is not, as long as it's done for the sake of compassion.  I think we'd all agree that compassion is a noble and important virtue, one that ought to be nurtured.  But I'm not sure compassion is a legitimate justification for killing if we say that justice is not.

It's one of the many thorny problems we face in the midst of a fallen world.  Something is, indeed, right, and something wrong.  But often it's difficult to know which is which.  I confess to being perplexed at many points, not simply this one!
Live well; laugh often; love with all your heart.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 08:36:52 PM »
"But I'm not sure compassion is a legitimate justification for killing if we say that justice is not." (Boomer)

Exactly - well put. Let compassion rule - please!
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

john2000

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 09:07:13 PM »
How do you confine "compassion", you can have compassion for one, but not the other, surly, or are you one of theres people who think only humans have souls?.

john2000

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 09:12:19 PM »
Every one has the right to life, and should have the right to end it when the pain and suffering is too much, to sit next to some you love dearly in constant pain and getting worse, and they beg you to end it for them, what do you do.? ( oops, there comes that compassion thing again )

john2000

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 09:17:43 PM »
it breaks your heart to see them suffer, and it would break your heart to let them go, in my mind I would let them go, knowing that they are not in pain that would only get worse....... I feel at the end of the day, your morales and compassion comes from the heart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy