Author Topic: landmarks of brum city center  (Read 22533 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: landmarks of brum city center
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
Joe

I have looked for an earlier photo than this because I know I have one, but it's must be among my untagged photos. This photo was obviously taken sometime between 1940-43 when the building was bombed out. They were obviously still trading then as can be seen by the cars inside the building.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »
The Town Hall and Alpha Tower (picture taken by me one foggy February morning).

And the Birmingham Eye on the same morning.

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
A couple of less popular Birmingham landmarks, I can't see that either of them had merit. Although I could see the basic idea behind the glass fibre depiction of "Forward"
Make Love Not War

planetmalc

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »
I hate the Iron Man with a vengence >:(    -   what a pointless eyesore! ::)       Where's Henry Taroni when you need him? ???
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 04:30:51 PM »
PM

how do you feel about this?
Make Love Not War

Coastal

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »
I don't like that head (nothing to do with football) but I used to work, less than 100 yards from it. :(
📷 My photos on Flickr 📷 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

A zebra never change it's spots.

planetmalc

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
PM

how do you feel about this?

That's OK but I'd rather see it upright   -   when I first saw it, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what it was! :-[      The Irom Man is just a caricature and the rust on it seals its fate for me.     A showpiece like Victoria Square deserves better (King Kong springs to mind! O0 ).

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »

That's OK but I'd rather see it upright   -   when I first saw it, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what it was! :-[      The Irom Man is just a caricature and the rust on it seals its fate for me.     A showpiece like Victoria Square deserves better (King Kong springs to mind! O0 ).

But would you like it if it hadn't been adopted by BCFC and painted blue? I also liked King Kong and thought it great for Manzoni Gardens. I'm just glad they never insulted the people of Birmingham by never trying to erect a statue of the gardens namesake there.
Make Love Not War

cocacolakid

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
Anyone remember the building on the opposite corner to Snow Hill station. It was called I believe General Fire and Life assurance company.

townie..

I think it may have been the Wesleyan & General insurance company.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

planetmalc

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
But would you like it if it hadn't been adopted by BCFC and painted blue?

Oh yes, this has got nothing to do with football, I just think 'a head' is a great idea   -   would like to see a few more around on green spaces (including some animal heads). O0

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
What about this one, a meeting place/landmark that I used often. "I'll meet you outside the Co op on the High St under the clock". It was nice and handy if I was living in Nechells the 56 bus dropped me in Union Street and if I was living in Balsall Heath the number 50 dropped me in Albert Street and even later the terminus moved to just over the road opposite.
Make Love Not War