Author Topic: landmarks of brum city center  (Read 30039 times)

JudithM

Re: landmarks of brum city center
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
I was very cross when they knocked that down  >:(

planetmalc, have you seen this one in London?  I think it's rather beautiful.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d6750530-Reviews-Still_Water_Horse_Head_Statue-London_England.html
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »
You couldn't call these three "Paperhangers" a landmark on account of the fact that they don't seem to stay in one place long.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »
planetmalc, have you seen this one in London?  I think it's rather beautiful.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d6750530-Reviews-Still_Water_Horse_Head_Statue-London_England.html

That would have baffled me at first if I hadn't been told it was a horse's head. :-[      Interesting, but, for me, a bit too 'arty' to be endearing.    Call me a Phillistine if you like, but I like my public art to be 'instant' and, if possible, interactive in its reward   -   our splendid bull is the prime example, and I wish we had an equivalent of Milton Keynes' famous 'concrete cows' on some of our green spaces (for 'kids' of all ages). O0 
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 04:36:58 PM »
What about this one, a meeting place/landmark that I used often. "I'll meet you outside the Co op on the High St under the clock". It was nice and handy if I was living in Nechells the 56 bus dropped me in Union Street and if I was living in Balsall Heath the number 50 dropped me in Albert Street and even later the terminus moved to just over the road opposite.

I am mere yards from the site of that clock, right now! O0      'Outside the Odeon' was always my town-centre meeting place; the one time I deviated from it and agreed to meet the girl 'At the bottom of the ramp', she never showed up! :o (the only time I was ever stood up :'( ).

JudithM

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
They should bring back the owls, they were really good in the summer.

I love the bull, it's great that you get to interact with it, as you say, and I think it looks especially great in the natty outfits that get made for it in the winter  ;D

As for the Golden Boys, they are currently in the same position - for now at least - but are surrounded by fences and building works again  ::)  At least they don't have road cones on their heads like they seemed to for most of the '80's and '90's.....
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

planetmalc

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
They should bring back the owls, they were really good in the summer.

The 'Unity Within Diversity' Owl has been placed just inside the front entrance of the Rag Market, and is waiting to be included in your selfie! O0 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »
I found this old photo its dated 1914 but the question where have the statues gone

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Bannion

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »
No idea, Roy, for hopefully someone can update us.  May be a quirk of my memory but I feel sure they were still there or close by when I was a lad in the early fifties.  Open to be shot down.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2016, 11:06:58 AM »
The trouble with public art & statues in Birmingham is that that they keep moving them about. Victoria Square has been a short resting place for so many over the years. Now it seems for some reason we do not have space for all of them.

The photo is not a very good one so please forgive me if I make a mistake, from left to right I think they are, Joseph Priestly, Queen Victoria & George Dawson. As far as I am aware Queen Victoria is still strutting her stuff in Victoria Square but the two gentlemen are resting at the Birmingham Museum storage facility in Duddeston. Apparently we only have room for the Floozie in the Jacuzzi (which no longer works) and The Iron Man.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
thanks phil same photo but from a different side

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Joewoen

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
Birmingham Mail online has a goodarticle on Victoria Square /New Street. It seems a photography student has found several views of the area ranging from now to the 1820's. He then morphs the photos into each other. Worth a look.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy