Author Topic: landmarks of brum city center  (Read 30031 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
landmarks of brum city center
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »

the rotunda  in brum has become of of brums landmarks when it was first built brum folk did not like it to much but now its part of.  one of the other land marks is the postoffice tower  this can be seen 20miles out side brum and if you go to the lickys and look north

brum has Meany a fine old building and if you're in the city center all you need to do is look up from street level

have you got any pictures of buildings in and around brum landmarks  old schools  old pubs any thing that is at least a 100 years old
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

Re: landmarks of brum city center
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
Roy,

Even photos of 50 years ago won't have the tower or rotunda - I last left in '59 and have never seen them - so dig around members and find those landmarks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
We still have many buildings in the town centre over a 100 years old that have not yet fallen under the developers hammer. Though I am a not sure you could describe many of them as landmarks.

Nevertheless I think that there are a few that could fall in to this category.

Victoria Law Courts Corporation St  named for Queen Victoria on her Golden Jubilee built 1891.

Central Methodist Hall Corporation St built 1904.

Birmingham Town Hall Victoria Square built 1834.

St Martins Church Bull Ring. Has been the site of a church since 1263 at least. Latest version built 1873.

There are loads more but I must give others a chance.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
Phil,

Thank you very much for these - they take mr back (except for the ped'n by TH) where've the buses gone? :(

9teen48

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »
Phil,

I would vote for each of those examples as great Brum city centre landmarks.  Thanks for the super photos.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
These pair of photos show a couple of Birmingham Landmarks although outside the city centre they are worthy of a mention here.

Pierrot's Folly the tower was built by eccentric landowner John Perrott in 1758. Though the reason for its construction is unknown, historical accounts suggest that in keeping with the fashion of the day, it was built as an elaborate hunting lodge for the entertainment of Perrott’s wealthy friends. It later went onto be used as a weather observatory.

And the second is another tower just a couple of hundred yards further down the road.
 Edgbaston Waterworks lies to the east of Edgbaston Reservoir, two miles west of the centre of Birmingham.
The buildings were designed by John Henry Chamberlain and William Martin around 1870. The engine house, boiler house, and chimney are Grade II listed buildings. The site is operated by Severn Trent Water.

It has often been said that these two towers were the inspiration of the books by J. R. R. Tolkien.. Any other city in the world would have capitalised on this fact and the area would now be a shrine for Tolkien's fans.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »
Now this can quite rightly be described as a Brum landmark now it has recently been put back in its rightful position instead of hidden away in some forgotten corner of the Bull Ring.

This memorial to Lord Nelson was the first in England to be erected in his memory and was paid for by public subscription another case of where Birmingham leads the rest of the country follows.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Thanks Phil,

Good to see your comment - I did not know that it had been moved from BR - when and where had it been put?

tramp

townie

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
Can anyone remember what the building was next to the Crown pub on Station Street/ Hill street/ Hinckley Street. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Coastal

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 02:08:20 AM »
St Philip's Cathedral and the Council House
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Joewoen

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »
I think Birmingham has many fine buildings, worthy of being called landmarks, but unlike London, we don't tend to show them off or use them in publicity to attract people to the city or even help dispell the idea that Birmingham is a concrete jungle which most people who haven't been here tend to think it is.

Here are my suggestions, sorry I do not have any photos.

St.Paul's Church and St.Paul's Square
The Grand Hotel
Birmingham Eye Hospital
Baskerville House and Hall of Memory
Moor Street Railway Station, particularly inside.
Digbeth Police Station
Clock Tower, Jewellery Quarter
Old Joe Clock Tower
Great Western Arcade
Old Assay Office, Jewellery Quarter, particularly inside
Hockley Cemetry Catacombs
The building, corner of Steelhouse Lane and Corporation Street, the closest thing we'll get to a flat iron.
Most old tram depots

There are buildings less than a 100years old, which are very pleasing, these include;
Alpha Tower
The Cube
Colmore Gate
Fort Dunlop
New Library
Wesleyan Tri-corn building

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy