Author Topic: landmarks of brum city center  (Read 30038 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: landmarks of brum city center
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
Joe

I have looked for an earlier photo than this because I know I have one, but it's must be among my untagged photos. This photo was obviously taken sometime between 1940-43 when the building was bombed out. They were obviously still trading then as can be seen by the cars inside the building.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »
The Town Hall and Alpha Tower (picture taken by me one foggy February morning).

And the Birmingham Eye on the same morning.

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
A couple of less popular Birmingham landmarks, I can't see that either of them had merit. Although I could see the basic idea behind the glass fibre depiction of "Forward"
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »
I hate the Iron Man with a vengence >:(    -   what a pointless eyesore! ::)       Where's Henry Taroni when you need him? ???
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 04:30:51 PM »
PM

how do you feel about this?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Coastal

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »
I don't like that head (nothing to do with football) but I used to work, less than 100 yards from it. :(
Do unto others before they do unto you.

planetmalc

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
PM

how do you feel about this?

That's OK but I'd rather see it upright   -   when I first saw it, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what it was! :-[      The Irom Man is just a caricature and the rust on it seals its fate for me.     A showpiece like Victoria Square deserves better (King Kong springs to mind! O0 ).

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »

That's OK but I'd rather see it upright   -   when I first saw it, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what it was! :-[      The Irom Man is just a caricature and the rust on it seals its fate for me.     A showpiece like Victoria Square deserves better (King Kong springs to mind! O0 ).

But would you like it if it hadn't been adopted by BCFC and painted blue? I also liked King Kong and thought it great for Manzoni Gardens. I'm just glad they never insulted the people of Birmingham by never trying to erect a statue of the gardens namesake there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
Anyone remember the building on the opposite corner to Snow Hill station. It was called I believe General Fire and Life assurance company.

townie..

I think it may have been the Wesleyan & General insurance company.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

planetmalc

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
But would you like it if it hadn't been adopted by BCFC and painted blue?

Oh yes, this has got nothing to do with football, I just think 'a head' is a great idea   -   would like to see a few more around on green spaces (including some animal heads). O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
What about this one, a meeting place/landmark that I used often. "I'll meet you outside the Co op on the High St under the clock". It was nice and handy if I was living in Nechells the 56 bus dropped me in Union Street and if I was living in Balsall Heath the number 50 dropped me in Albert Street and even later the terminus moved to just over the road opposite.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy