Author Topic: landmarks of brum city center  (Read 30105 times)

AWJD

Re: landmarks of brum city center
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2016, 08:46:44 AM »
Here's one for you. Anyone know what the tunnels were used for in the photo.

Railway tunnels from Moor Street station?

townie

« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »

AJWD.
The "tunnels" are the remnants of the cellar and part of the old banana warehouse that was under the old Parcel Office which was part of the old Moor Street Station (it used to stand next to the Ship Ashore and the multi-storey carpark). 

The parcel office was dismantled and was supposed to be rebuilt adjacent to to the Station - but the developers persuaded the Council that a "more contempory" (ie cheaper) solution was better - so we got that odd glass box dumped onto Moor Street instead.

The banana warehouse ran from under the parcel office roughly where Selfridges is and where the road runs alongside Moor St Station - it is a Listed structure (something to do with a pioneering concrete frame construction method) and although quite a lot was demolished, the Selfridges car park was built over and around a chunk of it - so you can see it today as part of the car park (and in the never-let unit next to the railway bridge).
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
Another part of Birmingham Town Centre gone the way of it's predecessor Old Square, though I understand that most of it still remains including the murals only having been buried. So future archaeologists will have a great time digging it all out again someday.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
That will be an interesting find for them  ;)  I used to use these shops quite frequently as they were close to where I worked for a while.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
Another sight that we won't see again, I've been up and down that ramp a few times. After a few drinks in the Matador I'm not that sure that coming down it a few of the times my walking a corkscrew line was the fault if the ramp.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy