Saddam
« on: December 30, 2006, 05:33:50 AM »
Executed on the day of Eid. Hmmmm

Your opinions on the matter please.
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

john2000

Re: Saddam
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:08:14 AM »
spyro2000. what do you want us to say ??? that he was a good guy, or a bad guy.????
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

spyro2000

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »
Hi John.

There is no doubting he was a bad guy, but what Im concerned about is out of the 365 days in the year, they chose to execute him on the holy day of Eid. Maybe Im just being silly here, but to me that takes the proverbial P.

With so many people being in Mosques praying today and many women at home, today will be an easy target for any Shias who want to take revenge for the killing of Saddam.

kelama

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 12:55:33 AM »
saddam's fate is what happens when the Americans fall out of love
with you.

http://www.bushflash.com/swf/thanks.swf

John_Lerwill

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 08:17:43 AM »
Hi John.

There is no doubting he was a bad guy, but what Im concerned about is out of the 365 days in the year, they chose to execute him on the holy day of Eid. Maybe Im just being silly here, but to me that takes the proverbial P.

With so many people being in Mosques praying today and many women at home, today will be an easy target for any Shias who want to take revenge for the killing of Saddam.

Spyro - your message is well meant and I sympathise with its meaning. It does strike of being something hard and harsh, though we know what Saddam's administration did to Iraq and Iran.

But can I please - without being pedantic - just point out a couple of things in your text? The first is that the word 'Eid' by itself means 'a major religious (Islamic) celebration', and that it was not the only Eid day in the Muslim year.

The second is that it is the Sunnis (if anyone) who would want to take revenge for the killing of Sadam, not the Shia. It was the Shia - the majority in Iraq - who suffered greatly under Saddam. Saddam's power was based on the Sunni minority.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

john2000

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 11:27:08 AM »
John_L, again, you're spot on when it comes the Islamic religion, Saddam also had it in for the Kurds, who lived mostly in the north east also alot lived in the north west of Iraq, ( later a whole village was gassed ), nothing lived, no animals,no children,no mothers,fathers, even live stock was killed,.
when you got into a taxi in Baghdad, the taxidriver would always ask, "how do you like Iraq, " my reply was alway, very nice, "and the people". also very friendly, I always waited for the next question, "what do you think of our president". even tho the driver was dirty and had robes that had seen better days, under his hat you could always see a military haircut, "great man, great man,. and the drivers always said they came from Egypt,.
In the Iraqi army, you would never see a Kurd solider. because they had a bad habit of shooting the officer and running away, so the ones they did have where there only to clean everything, ( they were not allowed to carry guns ).
I think the nicest place there was Ramadie, ( a town west of Baghdad ) it had a very busy market, Small cafe's where you only drank char, it has/had a cinema, and every film was all the Europeans where devils and as you drove into the town on the left was a Christian hotel,very clean and where you could get a cold beer, the cake shops sold cakes that were unbelievably sweet, but their icecream was out of this world,
when you go down the side streets you see all the old,dirty houses, I went to a home of one of my engineers,who was also my friend, the outside wanted a lick of paint and a lot of the windows where bricked in, ( never judge a book by its cover), as I walked in, the outerdoor was closed, then they open the second door leading on to a courtyard, it was beautiful, marble floor the rooms to the house were around the courtyard, with a balcony running around all four sides, in some rooms I was ankle deep in lush carpet, and as I said white marble, and green plants every where, but like everything else, when you get over the fear of the unkown, you see a whole new world, that you have only ever read about in books,.....................John 2000

John_Lerwill

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
John, I'm looking forward to that book of yours...

You did say you were going to write one - didn't you?  :)

john2000

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 12:36:13 PM »
 ;D

spyro2000

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 04:11:34 PM »
Thanks for the correction John L, I indeed got them the wrong way around. They both begin with S though ;)

John_Lerwill

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 05:21:42 PM »
Yes, they both SSSSSSSSSSS at one another!  ;)

A lot of Sunnis and Shia like to dismiss the theological and historical differences between their sects, but, as in Christianity, there are some hard-nosed leaders who like to perpetuate the differences.

And what is crucial in this debacle in Iraq - and one completely missed by Bush and Blair - is that apart from the fact that the three major divisions in Iraq (Shia, Sunni and Kurds) virtually all live in distinct areas and therefore do not logically constitute one country, the historical differences between Shia and Sunni really emanated in the country we now call Iraq some 1300 years ago, and is why Kerbala is of such religious significance to the Shia.

The main difference between the two sects is that the Shia believe that the leadership and spiritual understanding was given by Prophet Muhammed to his son-in-law 'Ali and his progeny, but the Sunni tried to obliterate that familial authority by anihilating 'Ali's progeny at Kerbala.

The area has seen a huge amount of violence ever since.

Some say that the present day Aga Khan is the true leader of the Shia, but there is considerable difference between his party (the Isma'ilis) and the rest of the Shia (and, indeed, the Sunnis). The Isma'ilis are very progressive.

Sorry for the lecture, but I know that very few people know their history. I have lived amongst all the main Muslim sects and have studied the subject quite considerably.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »
john2000
                we both have been on the same path john and in that time and place you kept your mouth shut and has for him being hung i have no point to make on that  but what goes round comes round live by the sword die by the sword
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy