Author Topic: horse troffs and loos in brum  (Read 28310 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: horse troffs and loos in brum
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 08:34:42 PM »
hi Steve
           having spent a bit of time in Gib i never come across a loo like that in Gib Even the the old loos at the botton of the cliff road by the carpark but i did come a cross an odd loo witch i think was part of the casement on the way to the doc road (west) could that have been it i know my round Gib up from the airstrip to the loading ports and most of the old town and in side the nick but the casement was shut up so it might have been that Steve  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
sorry  to members for going off thread roy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »

This is my favourite story about a public underground loo. It doesn't sound much when it is written down but whenever I think about it, I have to smile.
One Saturday night in the 60’s we ran two girls home to Worcester we had met at a night club in Birmingham. As it was about 4.a.m. when we finally dropped them off we decided to get our heads down in the car for a couple of hours before heading back to Brum.On waking about 7 a.m. we headed the nearest toilets for a wash and brush up.

The nearest one was at the head of Bridge Street. After availing ourselves of the facilities and giving the attendant a generous tip. We asked the attendant where was the nearest café we could get some breakfast his reply was “you are joking aren’t you” (it was a Sunday in 1965)He next words were “if you are hungry I can do you something”.

Smiling to ourselves we agreed, he cooked us one of the best mixed grills I have ever eaten the full works. We left there thanking him profusely as he would not accept a penny in payment.

Sadly that underground toilet has gone the same way as many of its ilk, but I can never visit Worcester or think about the city without smiling and recalling how I ate a full English breakfast in a public convenience there.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
hi phil can you put my mind at rest    was there a loo in livery street not to far from snowhill

denise

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
A good story Phil  ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »
Roy

I have to be honest, I don't really remember. I think there may have been a cast iron urinal near the bottom of the hill.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »
The glass ceilings in the loos remind me i have got a glass ceiling it's called a mirror i can't be botherd to take it down it still work on a good night  ;D   O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

oznow

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:38 AM »
I've spent all my working life in and out of toilets in all the Brum pubs many years ago and then in Aussie land and what a [censored] claim to fame that is  :o .

O0 .

Steve

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »
hi Steve
           having spent a bit of time in Gib i never come across a loo like that in Gib Even the the old loos at the botton of the cliff road by the carpark but i did come a cross an odd loo witch i think was part of the casement on the way to the doc road (west) could that have been it i know my round Gib up from the airstrip to the loading ports and most of the old town and in side the nick but the casement was shut up so it might have been that Steve  Roy
Roy, it was 1962 when we were there. The next time we passed I noticed there were 2 loos near each other. the one we'd staggered into had "espana" painted over the entrance. Probably for the Spanish 'Dockies', there was no paper, just a tap with a filthy rag hanging on it.
 I should have mentioned part of the cause of my pal's accident was that he was wearing his issue No. 1 suit, not his tailored one. The issue kecks had a wide waistband with 3 buttons vertical. Then there was a large drop down flap with 3 buttons horizontal, so they became a bit awkward when undone.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

pickard.r

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »
Phil

The toilet/cafe  in Worcester you mentioned (if it,s the one I,m thinking of) has been boarded up & put up for sale. Maybe you should put in a bid and convert it into the holiday home you was on about a few months ago :D

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:27 AM »
Bobby

I think the one I wrote about has gone, I'm sure it was underground it was on a traffic island at the junctions of Bridge St,Deansway & Broad St.

If you walked down Broad st from the High St it was where it met Bridge St.

When I was last in Worcester a couple of years back I thought I found the spot where it once stood and as I say it was no longer there.

The trouble is that Worcester has changed so much in the last forty odd years I hardly know my way around now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy