Author Topic: horse troffs and loos in brum  (Read 28304 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
horse troffs and loos in brum
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
in and around brum city center you could find horse drinking troth's the last one i can remember was camphill and the other thing was fine Victorian men's standing loo all painted green with fine cast mouldings   have they all gone now or is there still some about we had a few underground loos station street and sallyoak  i know this might sound odd but its part of brums history
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: horse troffs and loos in brum
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »
Roy

There are still one or two scattered about, I don't know why most of them were removed. They were very handy for us gents and cost very little to maintain. I knew a little Irish chap who's name was Jerry. He went round on his push bike cleaning them. All he had was a length of hose, a bucket, a broom and some disinfectant.

I think he cleaned all the urinals in Birmingham, I think that his wages and expenses must have been to total cost of their maintenance at that time I bet the total wages & costs couldn't have been more than £5000 per year.

This one is still in use today, its in Vyse Street in the Jewellery Quarter. The fist photo is a good few years back and the second is recent.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:58 AM »
There was a loo going up Ombersley Rd on the left just after the railway bridge and, for me, the best horse trough in the world at the Mermaid, Stratford and Warwick Rd junction - as a nipper, I did a big (clothed) belly flop into it - and scarpered, sodden but happy.....that's another story for another time......the green loos used to be very common, and I'm glad to see and hear evidence that at least one hasn't been ''slashed''! ;D

frederick

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
It looks like the old French type loo is being in the Cities now to help stop the week-end drunks peeing in the streets but they are for men so the drunken women will have to carry a lady pee " simple "  :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:42 PM »
There was this Victorian Urinal on Coventry Rd at the top of Kingston Hill on the railway bridge just before Cattell Rd. Its gone now though.

Then also gone today is this horse trough on Icknield St Hockley.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
A couple more Victorian unrinals. The first one was in Great Barr St Bordesley and the second one was in Allison St Bordesley. It looks like there was a great need for them in Bordesley.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:15:45 AM »
Now that last photo could handle a football team, especially if they'd lost and were.....pee'd off ;D

Being in Bordesley, they could well have been quite busy..ho, hum,,,,,,

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »
tramp

They would had to have had three men sent off, because it looks only to be an eight berth to me. I suppose the other three could have nicked round to Great Barr St. I don't know what the substitutes would have done.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

CAROLINA

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »
There used be a horse trough at the bottom of Warstone Lane/Icknield Street

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
Hi Carolina,

If you look back to reply No 5 you will see a photo of it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

CAROLINA

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
I should have gone to Specsavers!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy