Author Topic: horse troffs and loos in brum  (Read 28307 times)

chas35

Re: horse troffs and loos in brum
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »
Yes and the piccie you posted Phil of the Bartons arms had a horse trough  on it, that was a great picture by the way, brings back so many memories altho I don't remember the trams, think I just missed them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
Chas

Don't let it worry you, I missed the trams as well. I was that young my little chubby legs wouldn't let me run fast enough to catch them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Phil,

Naa mate, they'd be gentlemen and wait their turn, ''double up''  - or use the pocket of the slowest......in those days there were no substitutes.

tramp

9teen48

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:16:22 PM »
Roy,

Here is a horse trough and drinking fountain located at the junction of Tenbury Road, Featherstone Road and Alcester Road South in King's Heath.  It was previously located at the junction of Vicarage Road by All Saints church.  Have a look at my posting of it at that location in the early 1900s on the "Old pictures of King's Heath" thread.  I think you will like the horse and cab and the cab shelter.

Brian

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
hi 9teen48
               most of the loos and horse troffs have gone but i put this thread up to show some of our younger members how things was not so long ago and with the hope that some will take an intrest plus some of the members to come and the old members do have pictures of such things and i hope that they will look and think iv got some of them and post them on this forum once they are on line they will not be lost  but thanks Phil and 9teen48 for you're contribution  WE MUST KEEP IT ALIVE ITS OUR HISTORY
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »
A few more here, I think these have gone also. One in St Vincent St Ladywood, another in Ladywood next to the Bridge Inn. The last is somewhere in Digbeth (another one in Bordesley).

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »
This one is not a Victorian Urinal, but an underground loo in Station St Birmingham.

It was known to those of the Gay Cottaging scene as the Golden Slipper.

I drank in the Crown (Cutlers) nearby, but I never seemed to use this convenience. I wonder why?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »
Phil,

A nice collection of cast iron urinals.  I had forgotten about the underground loo at Station Street. I am sure there were more underground loos around.  We had an underground loo in King's Heath, on a triangular island at the junction of Vicarage Road and Alcester Road South - I've posted a picture on the "Old photos of King's Heath" thread.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
Hi Brian

I remember those toilets at the top of Vicarage Rd, we used to call in there when were on the way back from coach trips to the Alcester Trades and Labour Club in the 70's.

Here is the ones that used to be outside Lewis's in Old Square.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 08:38:12 PM »
There was a urinal of this type at the bottom end of Landor St.

Down Lawley St at the junction there was a horse trough in front of the sailor's Return. I remember there was a photo in a local paper of some young kids bathing naked in it during hot weather. Prob early 50's.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

tramp

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
Old Square bogs - I 'went' there quite a few times  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy