Author Topic: good by my england  (Read 15114 times)

Jacqueline

Re: good by my england
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
England once thrived. Now i fear we are going downhill fast.

I loved my childhood and teenage years in Brum. Hubby always wanted to move to the sticks. I would panic and say "no way" as i adored the city life [a party animal]. Sadly that was my 20-30's. Now in my 50's i think different. Not because i have changed but because Brum and indeed England has.

Birmingham is no longer the place i want to live. Yes i still love the old brum but have no choice as i cannot afford to leave and have elderly mother to care for.

Graham

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2007, 01:47:54 PM »

I loved my childhood and teenage years in Brum. Hubby always wanted to move to the sticks. I would panic and say "no way" as i adored the city life [a party animal]. Sadly that was my 20-30's. Now in my 50's i think different. Not because i have changed but because Brum and indeed England has.

Birmingham is no longer the place i want to live. Yes i still love the old brum but have no choice as i cannot afford to leave and have elderly mother to care for.

Jacqueline, great to hear from you again.

Britain and civilization as we know it was at it's peak in the late 60's, since then it has all been downhill. As you have rightly noticed it's getting faster, as life gets faster. In 2004 I spent some 6 months in England. Mostly living at the top of the social ladder with people that have "made it" in England, but everything was so artificial. On every visit I made every conversation eventually got round to property and mortgages. I thought then how sad as life is more than that. I was glad to get back home to Flanders, where the pigs still roll in the mud and people can laugh with a fart. Even the local farmer still plow's with a horse you can imagine how backward we are, thank God (fig).

By-the-way most Flemish people are home owners but never so rude as to talk about nothing else. I think that Flanders may get caught in the slippery downhill slide but hopefully not in my time.

I think you did a very noble thing staying to look after your mother even though you knew it was time to get out. We should all listen to that little voice, it is always right. I left mine behind when she was 55 and she died at 66. I don't blame myself for anything because by staying I couldn't have saved her. She was intelligent enough to know that my heart wasn't in England, so never tried to stop me. I know that she was very proud of my achievements and the wonderful family I have built here. She often came to Belgium and here she had some of the best days of her life. One of them was standing with me on that world champions rostrum in front of 100 000 cheering fans. If I had stayed she would never have had that 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience. Graham.

Bootneck

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2007, 02:30:48 PM »
Here goes Graham again feeding his need, there's no stopping him is there.

john2000

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »
I think most of us have found our place in the sun, it being in London, Birmingham, Lyon, Melbourne, Antwerp, or Alice Springs, its we as an individual we seek to find where we are happy most,.
the 50's-60's have now gone but left a lot of happy/sad memories, which we will have in our hearts till we die,.
and gone too, are the slums of where a lot of us lived ( dragged up) we could only see what others had in their fine houses and nice cars, a world we thought we could never be in when sitting on the step in front of the house on a Sunday afternoon,. and when the trams and buses pasted, we wondered where they were going to or coming from,.
But a lot of us couldn't just leave, as they would have liked, there where others who need them and depended on them, so they stayed behind and made the best of a bad job, later, when their loved ones passed on, they could honestly say, they had done their best, and be proud of the sacrifice they had made. but far back in their minds they think "what if".a lot of us in the slums had lost one or both parents and where living with people who just tolerated you, always second best, others came first and you had what was left over, but then, one day you left school and became a worker ( a wage earner) suddenly you where the best on the block, every one wanted you to come and live with them, but in your minds eye, you could see the thin vale of unreality, again it wasn't you they wanted, but what you could bring into their pocket.
we learned a lot about human nature, which left some of us, hard and uncaring and indifferent to others,.
So next time some one says you didn't have the guts to stay. just let them stand in your shoes for a while, ( the good old days, no, I dont think so )
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Bootneck

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »

I think the time has come for me to depart this site, I clear the decks for you Graham to continue your tirade of misguided opinions, as they say never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »

The situation in Brum I understand - well, some parts anyway. There's plenty in England, though, that's still not a lot changed from what it was, in respect of the people that is. EVEN in London, life is mostly pretty good for the majority, and there's a lot of sociability and goodwill here that many from outside don't see. I''ve had many good experiences in England from the time I left Brum, and NOT in the fast lane either, Graham!  ;) I've studiuously avoided that way of life for more than 30 years. If you go by those who live that way, then you're missing something - there's a lot else happening besides!

How many other places could offer good neighbourliness and rich culture from Indians, Chinese, Greeks and Jews - as well as English! - than in this pocket I live in in North London? Before this I was in South London for over 20 years, and it was different - but still enjoyable.

The secret, I believe, is to meet life and accept every part of it. If you spend your time complaining (or crowing) and gossiping you merely lose energy!  ;)
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

John_Lerwill

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2007, 03:27:23 PM »

I think the time has come for me to depart this site, I clear the decks for you Graham to continue your tirade of misguided opinions, as they say never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Oh, don't say that Bootneck! I need a bit of help calming these poor people who've grown old before their time!  :D

john2000

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2007, 03:43:34 PM »
John-L, You want to live for ever.?? ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

John_Lerwill

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »
John-L, You want to live for ever.?? ;D

Er, I've mentioned elsewhere you do live for ever! It's just that you've not cottoned on to reality yet!  ;)

Bannion

« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »
I have entered the site on a number of occasions and flowed with the conflicting statements made between our various members.
Some I have mentally agreed with others I have wondered where they were going.
On this subject I will only say this.  I enjoy my life, here in this England. My life is what I, my family and friends make for me and ourselves, however I do feel for the youth who follow me.
This past ten years I have become aware that those things, I held in esteem, are being eroded away piece by piece.   I will not stand and pontificate on the many aspects that dismay me but will say this.
I am glad I have lived the earlier part of my life when I did.   If the trend, I feel within, continues then I truly feel; sorry for the youngsters of this land.
Obviously I say this in the sure knowledge that they who follow will not know anything different to what they are brought into.
On reflection I suppose our forefathers said the self same thing and we aged, not knowing or being able enjoy that what they had.

Bootneck

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »
Hi John Lerwill
OK a Bootneck never leaves a comrade in the field, Ill stay, sorry Graham you had better cancel the party.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy