Author Topic: good by my england  (Read 15118 times)

Bootneck

Re: good by my england
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »
Hi Bannion,
Yes I hear what you say, from time to time we all feel like that, of coarse these days we are bombarded with negative news by the media, because only bad news makes good news, and I think as you get older your memory of your past is perhaps playing a big part it does tend to influence your thinking.
I have always had a positive outlook on life and who knows this may blind me to some issues.
Regards.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
Brought up mainly in the 50s, I think I was brought up at almost ideal time. But I was lucky in that although we didn't have very much, we had a bit more than most, and probably much luckier in that (though on a council estate) we had long gardens and it was in a leafy area with plenty of green areas nearby, and as a kid I played in the nearby wood and sought out newts and frogs, etc. etc. And, of course, you did as you were told.

Which makes me recall an event. I remember distinctly looking out of my bedroom room at night (when I should have been asleep), and saw a copper on a bike coming down the road. Instinctively, he looked up at me, and without further ado stopped, and knocked our front door and made my dad aware that I was not asleep! Luckily my dad was in one of his good moods, though he was never extreme in punishment.

And I had the Eagle and the Hotspur to help grow my imagination. I haven't seen better comics since those days.

It's a different world we're now in, but I'm not depressed about how my kids will fare. All 5 (3 different mothers) have turned out pretty well, and have developed character under the adverse conditions of parental separation. And their children are doing pretty well, also.

But their future is not, of course, going to be determined by pure national socio-economic forces as ours tended to be.

New challenges certainly. But just as our parents had to face and endure a World War, perhaps their challenges will not be worse - just different. And tough, yes.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

Jacqueline

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2007, 05:48:41 PM »
Gosh sorry did not wish to add to the conflict. ;D

I cannot leave as mom is totaly disabled and i am her only child. Yes she has grandchldren and the girls do their bit but i cannot and will not put all the pressure on them.

If i had my choice of where to live first would be Canada [not a sun worshiper] second would be Belgium. Nothing to do with what Graham has said but due to my evaluation of the country when i visited.

Graham

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2007, 09:48:36 PM »
How many other places could offer good neighbourliness and rich culture from Indians, Chinese, Greeks and Jews - as well as English! - than in this pocket I live in in North London? Before this I was in South London for over 20 years, and it was different - but still enjoyable.

Good job you remembered to tack on "as well as English"!

Unfortunately for you we get BBC 1 & 2 here in Belgium and on the 6 o'clock news, tonight, they said that there are now "more colored people in Birmingham that whites" that's not so bad but they added that racial integration in the UK isn't working. Of course it isn't working, one side will always want power. J_L, I suggest that from now on you write to the BBC for being "irksome" and out-of-touch not to me. Get out in the real world and meet real people instead of cyber-men on the net.

Bootneck, this is a forum for discussion and meanings, not for one-liners, nor is it "the I love J_L" web-site. You both seem to be intent on scaring everyone off this forum so I'll let you get on with it. As for that party, well I'll have it without you thank you, I'll have it with  people that know how to party, the Belgians.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »
racial integration in the UK isn't working (Graham)

That "one liner" doesn't mean to say that there is a general free-for-all and that mini wars are going to break out in every city, Graham, as one would suppose by reading your statements!  ;)

It is not power, per se, that the elements want, but their bit of culture to be heard. But I think that Brum has always had a shortage of quality culture anyway, so the situation is sad but not too surprising.

NOTE that Leicester has had a majority Asian population for a decade or more, but there is little problem there.

And as I say, North London (and the majority of London) is doing very nicely thank you very much!  :) And to repeat again, there always will be problems - but problems are challenges, not something to run away from.

Get out in the real world and meet real people instead of cyber-men on the net.

Dear me, Graham, another one-liner!  ;)

So what do you think I've been doing all my life, Graham - shelling peas or cracking coconuts?  :D

Oh, and by the way, you're talking to someone who once did 10 months community work in Brixton in the 70s - and if you know about racial problems then you'll know what went on there around that time.

Graham

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2007, 12:37:06 AM »

NOTE that Leicester has had a majority Asian population for a decade or more, but there is little problem there.

J_L, don't put my name behind this one-liner, this is a one-line quote from last night's BBC 6 o'clock news.

They, the BBC, also said last night that "Birmingham is now the first city in the UK with a colored majority". They didn't say or mention Leicester. Now either you're facts are wrong or not up-to-date, or the BBC is wrong, I know who I believe. So as I've said take your belly-ache to the BBC not to me.

Jacqueline

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2007, 01:22:32 AM »
Children BEHAVE.

john2000

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2007, 08:06:22 AM »
Yes Jacqueline, If they dont, we will send them back to their real parents
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

John_Lerwill

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2007, 08:39:08 AM »

J_L, don't put my name behind this one-liner, this is a one-line quote from last night's BBC 6 o'clock news.

They, the BBC, also said last night that "Birmingham is now the first city in the UK with a colored majority". They didn't say or mention Leicester. Now either you're facts are wrong or not up-to-date, or the BBC is wrong, I know who I believe. So as I've said take your belly-ache to the BBC not to me.

Apologies - on checking it seems the actual fact is that Leicester has the largest Asian population, which is 40%, but with several areas exceeding 70%. I remember a decade ago that it came out that Leicester's Asian population had become the majority, but that must have been an exaggeration.

But the point of my remark is that Brum is not alone. Leicester, Bradford and Blackburn all have very sizeable coloured populations.

But who's belly-aching?! I've only read you ex-pats as doing all that!  :D

John_Lerwill

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2007, 08:51:53 AM »
...or the BBC is wrong, I know who I believe. (Graham)

Ha-ha!  :D Graham has at last admitted at least ONE advantage about Britain - the Beeb! Clearly he cannot rely on anything else!  ;)

I'm sure, Graham, if you delved a bit further you'd find some more! It was a British guy who invented the internet for starters! Where would you be now but for this marvellous tool?  :)

That marvellous and controversial lead-writer of Asian origin at The Independent - Yasmin Alibhai-Brown - yesterday wrote that she loved London and was proud of all Britain's contributers to the sciences and its many other famous figures.

Graham

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
J_L, I quoted the BBC as it is probably the only one that you can understand, you should see, and hear, what foreign stations have to say about the UK, but then you can't receive or understand them. So I would look at bit silly quoting NOS, ARD, VTM, VRT, RTL, RAI, VT4, CANVAS...ETC wouldn't I? If you had any understanding you would have realized this.

As I have said before, long before internet came into being a Flemish bloke invented modern day plastic, and an Italian the Volt, a German the Ohm, Edison gave us the light, Marconi the radio, need I go on? Otherwise you would still be using stone slabs and a chisel to get your futile messages across.

Most people love London, why not??? I do.

As for me being out-of-touch, I have been to Birmingham dozens of times in the past few years, where as you have only been once in 40 years. So I wonder who is the better judge of present day life in Brum? You also quoted on the way of life in Leicester, have you been there lately to investigate your claims? I think not, you only see life through that little monitor in front of you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy