Author Topic: northfield longbridg rubery  (Read 19355 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
northfield longbridg rubery
« on: January 12, 2010, 12:15:11 PM »
 iv not been to northfield for a long time now i come come via barntgreen rednel then lonbridge what a shock the car works gone most of it any way then getting in to northfield i was trying to make my way to harbourne via barnshill it seems a diffrent northfield to the one that i new so well the bypass  has come and it a maze of new roads  any body on the forum been that way

have or do you live in this part of town and what do you think of the change
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

Re: northfield longbridg rubery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »
Hi Roy,

I usually come in from the Rubery by-pass and turn left at the roundabout onto Bristol Road South at Longbridge.  Every time you pass there seems to be a bit more of the works cleared.  I took the attached photo almost a year ago.  My mother lives between Northfield and Cotteridge, so I turn off Bristol Road at Great Stone Road by the baths, so I don't usually go on the Northfield by-pass coming in.  I have used it coming out of Birmingham and it is ok that way.

I go to a reunion with former workmates at The Green Man in Harborne most years in December, but I usually go up the M5 and come off at Jn 3, Quinton Expressway, Hagley Road and then cut through Ridgacre Road and Court Oak Road.  I have been to Harborne a couple of times in 2009 but not via Shenley Lane and Barnes Hill.  I don't know what locals think about the by-pass and Northfield village.

Brian

chas35

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »
Hi Roy we go to Brum town the same way and have to admit I do not like it and am glad I am not driving thro myself, perhaps when they have finished with it it will be Ok who knows

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
hi chas
             like i have said iv not been down that way for a long time  in the pic that 9teen48 put up i think that's where the west works was they did the Body dipping there (rota dip) but on the way to northfield down the Bristol road its all change from the end of frankly beaches road i  almost got lost but i found my way to barnshill and i was OK on the way back come out at sallyoak then to kings norton

but the thing that stands out so much change in such a short time I'm told that housing is going to be built at longbridg

just a change of tack  new housing new roads  you could have names of roads  after the cars that was made there such as Severn road or Severn drive minor close  or allegro drive or Cambridge way

can you think of any  roy

chas35

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
Sounds like a good idea Roy what about Austin Road, Princess Drive, Ambassador Way,

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:01:58 PM »
hi chas
            now each of the buildings had names to  you could have north works way or west works drive or trentham  street how about Delmer way

chas35

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
Yep sounds good to me

9teen48

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:26 PM »
Hi Roy,

This is the scene looking east from the bridge over the railway line at Longbridge in January 2009, looking towards Longbridge Lane where the East Works was.

Brian

pickard.r

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
Hi Roy
Passed that way (Northfield) about a year ago on the way to a family funeral, I don,t know about any one else but I think it
is one of the better developments made in & around Brum for many a year. Although I was sorry to see the Travellers Rest gone.

Bobby

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

9teen48

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
Hi Bobby,

Here is a picture of the Travellers Rest.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Northfield longbridg rubery
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
Hi Brian

Here's another photo of the Travellers Rest. With the thatched roof it appears to be much earlier than yours. Although I heard that it was thatched until nearly the 60's. Can you confirm this or was what I heard a myth although you would think that the times I past by on the way to the Lickeys I would remember.

The other two photos are the junction of Bunbury Rd and Bristol Rd and show the buildings that were replaced by the Grosvenor Shopping Centre.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy