Author Topic: northfield longbridg rubery  (Read 19345 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: northfield longbridg rubery
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
Only time I ever went long bridge way after going to the Lickeys as a child,my mother found out by chance that her father had been in Monyhall Colony Mental Hospital since 1917, he had been sent there with  shellshock during the First World War,she was 8 years old and never told he was in there.She found out in 1963 when he died and had to go there to get his belongings that he had left
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »

Monyhall Colony  this is the mens ward at the hospital  its in two parts   the black and white is how it used to look in its day  the colour iv added to show how it might look to day
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 07:31:41 PM »
Only time I ever went long bridge way after going to the Lickeys as a child,my mother found out by chance that her father had been in Monyhall Colony Mental Hospital since 1917, he had been sent there with  shellshock during the First World War,she was 8 years old and never told he was in there.She found out in 1963 when he died and had to go there to get his belongings that he had left
Edmund that's a very sad story and sad ending. Thank goodness there is more focus on appropriate care and treatment for mental health these days. That man had fought for this country and look how he was treated.

mikejee

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »
Judith
I vaguely remember a butchers there, but afraid I do not remember ever going in, usually using the on furthe rup the road , or the bull ring market

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 11:17:06 PM »
Country lad,from what e found out afterwards he had also fought in India and had a lot of Indian Rupees which I have now,he was then sent to the Somme,I also have a medal which is the GBE(grand knight British empire) what for I do not no,have tried to find out but to no avail
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Akatarawa

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:10 AM »
Edmund,
My gran's brother had also been in the Indian Army and was recalled to join in the BEF.  It's likely quite a few Indian Army soldiers were sent to France to bolster the BEF numbers.  He was wounded at the first battle of the Marne September 1914, with a bullet lodged in his skull which was never removed.  Maybe he was lucky to escape the horrors that followed, but apparently he as never quite the man he had been.

My Mum remembered him coming back from India and bringing out all sorts of wonderful presents from his kit bag. We still have a small soapstone monkey, one of many that he brought.

frederick

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »
There is housing on part of the Austin site now and a cousin of mine bought one this yea.r I believe there is a maintenance charge for the tidy grounds and the gym.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
There is housing on part of the Austin site now and a cousin of mine bought one this yea.r I believe there is a maintenance charge for the tidy grounds and the gym.

If you buy property on a private estate there is always a service charge for assets and services until such time (if ever) the local council adopts these assets. It's like the local council charging you rates for these services.   
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ironside

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
I had an aunt in Nuthurst Road, my cousin would take me through the back fence and across the fields, passing Highland cattle, to a reservoir to see the herons with their massive wing spans. From the map I can see that was possible, but how we got to her house baffles me. We would go by bus and pass The Man in the Moon pub; get off at a stop in view of the pub, there was a Co-op over the road, we would then walk through a gully into Nuthurst  Road. The memory plays tricks I know and it was a long time ago. The pub was half way down the road but The Man on the Moon is on the corner of Redhill Road, the name was changed in 1969; unless there was another pub.  Looking at the map none of this seems possible.  Anyone solve the mystery?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
ironside,

Are you sure it wasn't the Cofton public house just around the corner from Nuthurst Road on the corner of Longbridge Lane and Groveley Lane? Sorry I don't have a photo, it's one of the few Birmingham pubs that I don't have.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »

there was two pubs one was the cofton and the other was the jolly fitter you had two buses one was the number 41 and I think the other was the 47 over the road from the fitter was a paper come sweet shop now you could get to nuthurst road  or you could get the number  45 get off by the church and walk down to the cofton

the lake you are on about could be at cofton hacket
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy