Author Topic: northfield longbridg rubery  (Read 19346 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: northfield longbridg rubery
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
Roy

The reason why I didn't mention The Jolly Fitter was because it seemed too far away to fit ironsides description, if he gives me a rough date perhaps I can find the Co-op shop he mentions, and that might tie it down/
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 01:19:08 PM »
Roy

I've just checked there was a Co-op on the opposite corner of Groveley Lane to the Cofton, where the Kwik Fit garage is now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
Hi Judith

I can tell you very little I imagine that this is the Phyllis Nicklin image that you are referring to, Bradleys was a butchers shop thar was listed in the directory's from 1964 to 1972. Given that the directory's are not printed until the following year that would mean the shop was there from 1963 to 1971. I have no doubt that you are now aware that it is charity shop. I have no doubt that Mike would be able to add more information as he was living local to here at the time.

Yes, that's the photo.  I'll pass the information on that it was a butchers.

I think that that shop is now the Salvation Army one.  Woollies is now B&M Bargains.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »
Roy

The reason why I didn't mention The Jolly Fitter was because it seemed too far away to fit ironsides description, if he gives me a rough date perhaps I can find the Co-op shop he mentions, and that might tie it down/
The Jolly Fitter has been demolished now.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

countrylad

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
Country lad,from what e found out afterwards he had also fought in India and had a lot of Indian Rupees which I have now,he was then sent to the Somme,I also have a medal which is the GBE(grand knight British empire) what for I do not no,have tried to find out but to no avail
Edmund / Akatarawa, your post have struck a cord with me. My Granddad was born in about 1890. I can remember my nan saying that he had served in India. I always wondered what was going on in India and why granddad was there. He also fought in WW1, not sure where. I do seem to remember the Black Watch mentioned. I don't know a lot about that part of my family and no survivors left that I know of. I must start digging around. One thing that is clear in my mind was the massive eagle tattooed on his back, this was done in India     

countrylad

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
There is housing on part of the Austin site now and a cousin of mine bought one this yea.r I believe there is a maintenance charge for the tidy grounds and the gym.
frederick, it amazing how you can quickly you can lose your bearings in an area that one knew so well. It must have been just over 12 months ago I came down the Licky's and  went past the Austin, although it had been demolished for some time I could still navigate and knew the road I had to turn right on to so that I could get to Kings Norton.

The new houses were in the process of being built, there had been a new road put in opposite the park on the right. It totally disorientated me for a moment as he road layout had changed and all the previous landmarks had gone.   

ironside

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 08:34:03 PM »
I haven’t been round the Northfield area for about twenty years, I have passed The Jolly Fitter, off Longbridge Lane I think, that pub would be too modern, I’m talking late 40’s early 50’s. It’s been demolished now!! Cofton Reservoir would be the one. Looking on Google Street View it seems the whole area has been redeveloped since those days, even the houses in Nuthurst Rd. even though they weren’t that old in those days. I’m probably wrong but I feel the bus stop, gully, and Co-op were at the junction of Groveley Ln. and Coombes Ln., but would they have two Co-op’s so close together. So The Cofton would have been opposite what is now Kwik Fit. I recall passing the Man in the Moon pub sign on the bus. Maybe as Roy said there were two buses from the City, one coming from the Bristol Rd. and one from the Pershore Rd. just to confuse things. I think the redevelopment is the cause of the problem. Thanks folks, with this and a couple of other threads I will be able to sleep more soundly, I worry about these things, or perhaps they just bug me.

countrylad

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
I do remember a co op where Kwikfit is now. Was called something ..... Tyres before Kwikfit. Does anyone remember coming up Grovely lane past the Autin, under the rail bridge then up on the left was a BMC Dealer. Not sure if he was a factory type shop, I.e. This is where you go to collect your new car if your picking it up from the factory. The Catholic Church at the top of Liley Lane is where my brother got married in 67.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
there was in fact four buses that went that way    the number 45 that went to westheath and the 41 and 47 went via turvesgreen one went down longbridge lane to sunbury road the other bus the 47 went up to   Groveley Ln. but also there was a midlandred bus I think it was the 145 that went down to cofton park then I think it went on to Bromsgrove   you had two lakes one on cofton hacket and the other was bittal  down hopewood way  barntgreen 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »

I do remember a co op where Kwikfit is now. Was called something ..... Tyres before Kwikfit. Does anyone remember coming up Grovely lane past the Autin, under the rail bridge then up on the left was a BMC Dealer. Not sure if he was a factory type shop, I.e. This is where you go to collect your new car if your picking it up from the factory. The Catholic Church at the top of Liley Lane is where my brother got married in 67.

would it be Patrick motors  O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »

would it be Patrick motors  O0
Patrick Motors, that's a real blast from the past. I don't think so but would not argue the point. I can see the building and I remember the large BMC rosette on the wall. But then again.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy