Author Topic: what school did you go to  (Read 166480 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
what school did you go to
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
what school did you go to and what do you remember about it did you get the stick did you go on school trips  did you have school dinners and anything that you think the members would like to know about youre school 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

potblack

Re: what school did you go to
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:16:03 PM »
Hi Roy Ben
I went to Bournville and Kings Norton Grammar.
The few things I remember about Infants School were my first view of it from Bournville Park, playing a tambourine and a fight with Sam Orchard which amounted to rolling down a grass bank together. Later I recall writing with chalk on a slate which had a wooden frame and reciting our tables – and that could be scary – you had to get them right or get a smack. Teachers seemed to think a smack around the head would help you. Due to the War many of the teachers were female but that didn't stop them being strict and wrapping boys and girls over the knuckles with rulers. They included Miss Whitehouse, Miss Alcock, Mrs Lancaster and Miss Hancox. When we moved to the Junior School there were more male teachers such as Morley, Clifton, Holmes, Ward and Barker and discipline was more severe. 'Daddy' Barker would take a run down the corridor before whacking the the backside of the unfortunate pupil who remained bent over whilst waiting for the next whack!
Also worth forgetting were the school dinners which were quite boring with semolina, occurring most days, cottage pie and salads. One lunch time I pointed out to the teacher that there was a live earwig in my salad. She merely knocked it off the plate and gave me my lunch back. I lost my appetite and made me cautious about salads for a long time!.
At KNGS
Playing football in an inter class game I was on the right wing and scored a goal direct from a corner.- Please note; this was 50 years before Beckham learnt to bend 'em! The referee, Mr Cole, was the teacher in charge of the School team and he picked me to play for the school the following Saturday but the game was cancelled and I wasn't picked again. The team was very clickey and the other players leant on him.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
hi pot black
                nice story i went to one or two schools in and around brum  my first school was hope street and my last school was the Abby that was a tuff school i got the stick most days for being a sod or late or not doing lines

the school dinners was the best we had all sorts but fish on a Friday the cook would always cook to much so we got loads 2/6 a week unless it was free

tramp

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:34:17 AM »
I was very glad to go to school especially the first one, Clifton Road Primary - it had so many advantages over being at home: plenty of lads my own age, school dinners (free), learning new things, having many more laughs, and pranks like bombings to play and climb around on the way home, and most of the teachers had a vocation for it, especially Mrs. Phillips who had our class for the last two years before school 'broke up' in June '54 and we went off for the last time...very happy days O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
looking back at my time in school and the whippings we got off the teachers it was nothing for the teacher to sling a bunch of keys at you or the blackboard rubber or to give you a whipping with a plimsoll round youre back side and the things that you got a whipping for 

but we done has we was told and the teacher had order in the class  i had a short stay at Denis road and one day after school my mom meet me in the park she was sitting on a bench waiting for me to come past but i was fooling about with mum  the next day in school i got called out one of the gets in the class had told the teacher that i was being cheeky to a woman  i told the teacher it was my mom and we was fooling about he was having none of it so i got a whipping for that  i told mom when i got home and she went to see the teacher and told him what was going on he was still having none of it 

if that was today he would have been in court and out of a job

denise

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
I only got a beating once.On the backside with a shoe and in front of the whole class.

Someone threw a book at me and I threw it back just as the teacher walked in the room.

I was so traumatised I ran out of the classroom and then there was a hoo har with the head teacher.............I will never forget the humiliation of that event and to this day I hate that cow of a teacher.

I know some will say you have to keep discipline but beating people is not ideal in my mind. :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »
I thought we did this subject a couple of years back; still we have had quite a few new members since then.

I started school in an area of Dundee Scotland called Kirkton (Newtown) at a school whose names escapes me now. After all I was only 4 years of age.  We were living in Scotland after my mother and father had parted company. We returned to Birmingham before my 5th Birthday because I remember starting school all over again as St John’s, Mary St, Balsall Heath. This was good because I was way ahead of everybody in the class.

After about a year at St John’s we moved to Neachells where I was enrolled at St Francis’s School Vauxhall Grove. I was here for about 4 years and then because our house was so overcrowded I moved back to Balsall Heath with my Gran on my mother’s side of the family. By then I was 10 and old enough to speak up for myself. There was no way I was going to go to another Catholic School so I spent the next 7 or 8 months at Tindal St, School.

Of course after finishing there at 11 years of age there was only one possible choice of school a lad could make for senior school and that was Dennis Rd Secondary Modern School for boys. I spent the next four years of my life there whilst living at my two grandmother’s houses on and off.

I never excelled in any subject at school although I did pretty well in History & Geography. I got into pretty much every bit of trouble that was going. If you got hold of the punishment book for the years 58 to 61 I think my name would be pretty prominent in it. I remember whilst in the second year I was banned from every school trip for as long as I was at the school. That was for opening the emergency door on the coach while we were moving. I thought that was great because it got me some extra days off throughout the school terms.

On my 15th Birthday I decided that I had received enough schooling and never returned to school after that date even though there was officially still a further three months to go.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
Clifton rd then onto Dennis rd then on day release from work to Garrett Green tec then Matthew Bolton old school and Matthew bolton new school then the big one the university of life i am still their  :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

astwood

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
I went to a village school at astwood bank 3 miles out of redditch
I started there in 1951 we had an air raid shelter running the full
length of the school the masters and the head were mainley welsh
I was forever getting the cane or other punishments One day during
the break we went and got some frogs from down the lane and put
them in the teachers desk when he lifted the lid the frogs were
jumping everywhere i remember it like it was yesterday they were
good days playing football for the school and other things
astwood :crazy2:

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:03:54 AM »
try locking the girls in the loo using a scarf between the Handel of the door and a hot water pipe and the only way to undo the knot is to cut it just you see what happens to you whipping ain't nothing that's just the start

try chaining the teachers bikes together in the bike shed with a chain and a combo lock for starters see how well you get on with that lot sore asss ain't the word for it

chas35

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »
I got the cane for doing hand stands in the playground after we were told not to.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy