Author Topic: what school did you go to  (Read 166458 times)

Mary8790

Re: what school did you go to
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »
I went to Our Lady of Lourdes in Yardley Wood and I remember giving myself a hair cut with the little scissors we were using to make paper chains at Christmas. The punishment was I got put up on a chair and shook by the shoulders backwards and forwards and that was a long time ago but I can still remember it.   She'd probably get sent to prison these days for doing that to a 5 year old. 

oznow

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »
I went to St Joseph's infant/junior school Nechells, Then the Abbey Erdington for a short while and then to St Vincent's junior/senior school Vauxhall.

I remember getting the cane several times at St Vincent's ... Mr Pearson (headmaster) was quite an expert in giving 2 of his best on each of your hands and would deliver them from   the left hand side for your right hand so as not to break your thumb off if his aim was a bit short, This was with a very flexable bamboo cane.

I remember getting the cane once for wearing bright blue jeans instead of grey trousers, Father Lyons had singled me out of line as he walked through the school and told me to go with him to Mr Pearson's office and they both agreed I deserved the cane.

But in those days teachers didn't have to give you the cane to hurt you .... They could just smack you round the head with a hard book or their hands to gain your attention and a lot of them were just bully's or saddest.

Oz  O0 .

tramp

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 03:09:36 AM »
Yup,

We had a ''qualified at nuffink'' handycraft teacher called Henderson who caned or threw the board rubber at some lad or other every class - as he was about 4ft Flip All  - he was naturally known as 'Little Hitler' - he had red hair and lost his rag so easily - a great way to set him off - was ''a silent but violent'' f*rt when he was near your desk looking at what you or the lad in front or behind was making...it was all the better as he had to lean over to see what you were making (a mess of)..the only problem was ensuring silence - very difficult back then ;D  and keeping a straight face was impossible - noise or not! :2funny:

astoness

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 07:41:41 AM »
hi all...well i went to lozells sec mod for girls in lozells...must say i loved the school...think i only ever had one run in with the head and that was when i got sent home for having a dirty neck :tickedoff: mind you in those days i was an out and out tom boy and i was probably out the night before playing tracking with the gang and couldnt be bothered to wash properly...any pics of the school would be much appreciated :)

lyn

rosinae

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
Hi fellow Brummies the school I went to was Trittiford Road  secondary school actually in Trittiford road  Billesley
I was a war baby born 1941 and my mom worked in a munitions factory so all I remember was the Nursery the infants the juniors and seniors all in one school In my mind I can picture some of layout of the school and a few years back I was in Brum and I decided to visit my old school I stood outside and the years flew away I can remember the Gym was a little way down Trittiford road and also the domestic science was housed there as well ;D

bev49

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
hi there great site
i started school at vauxhall gardens in duddeston all i remember is my school teacher was miss hoppit i went on to duddeston manor annex for a short while before moving up to weoley castle and going to paganel rd school then onto harborne hill in 1972 it amazes me how people can remember their early school days because my memories of my schooling in duddeston are just a blur

Jacqueline

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »
My schools were Stirchley primary & junior then Selly Park girls. I remember my first teacher at the junior school being called Miss Trollope. Could not understand at that age why my mom found it so funny.

greydog

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:41:11 AM »
Erdington Hall Junior (previously known as Ryland Rd)
Bordesley Green Tech
University of life ;D

chas35

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
Burlington Street Junior and secondary modern

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »
looking back on your time at school was it good or did you feel better after you left
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
I went onto collage and i thought like this they treat you like grown ups, i enjoyed my time at collage  O0  i was doing what i wanted to do.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy