Author Topic: what school did you go to  (Read 166474 times)

colin walker

Re: what school did you go to
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
Hi all
1st school Tilton road 1963
devon street
vauxhall gardens
duddeston manor
mirfield (lea village) finished 1976
colin

drummerboy

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 09:35:14 PM »
Hi

I went to Boldmere St Michaels Infant School then my parents moved us to near Bromsgrove in Worcestershire where I went to Catshill junior school and my secondary Education was back in Brum at Kings Norton Grammar School from 1955 until 1961

wiseman

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 07:30:42 AM »
Hi, l went to Timberley Junior school and Alderlea Boys school, Shard End.

Any one on the Forum remember these schools?

Rob.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

annecrofts

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »
i went to tiverton road infants and juniors, selly oak,(bournbrook end) then selly park girls at stirchley.teachers i remember were the head miss griffiths, a miss banks, who all the girls made cry as she was soft,miss such pe teacher,miss smith art,  welsh science teacher , miss edwards, i got picked out in front of the whole assembly, for wearing a red alice band,and had to go to heads office, our school colours being navy blue and white. i remember school meals little green tickets, 5shillings a week (i think) we used to get rapped over the nuckles with a ruler, for misbehaving, wich was usually talking, or giggling with your classmates, or in my case when i pulled my tongue out at a teacher behind her back, but she turned and caught me!but i used to love school, and was quite sad when i left.

old brummie

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
I to went to Tiverton Junior but I must admit I hated it the only good thing was that during dinner break the man who stoked the heating boilers gave a film show down in the boiler room. These were 16 mil silent movies, Charlie Chaplin etc. the trick was to hover by the boiler room door as only a few could get in due to space restriction. During the winter it was a treat as you came out very warm and usualy had a light coating of coal dust. It's been thanks to that man that I have always had a love of the silent movie.

alanmillard

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
I only got a beating once.On the backside with a shoe and in front of the whole class.

Someone threw a book at me and I threw it back just as the teacher walked in the room.

I was so traumatised I ran out of the classroom and then there was a hoo har with the head teacher.............I will never forget the humiliation of that event and to this day I hate that cow of a teacher.

I know some will say you have to keep discipline but beating people is not ideal in my mind. :)
Get over it your still here
. i had the cane and the slipper but i don't hold any grudges, i had the cane twice and i had done nothing but walk in the classroom. alan

nickcc

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 10:03:49 AM »
hi all members   can you tell us about your school what you did what you found to be the best and the things you did not like

i loved my school dinners

i hated sports still had to go on the field and play stood there freezing my socks off
Used to like the School dinners but never liked being called out first for free meals, never stopped me going up for seconds though :)   Never enjoyed sports or gym (even playing pirates) probably because I'd eat too many seconds. :)   Hated cross country running especially in the Winter when you had to run through the brook in Beeches road.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

phil48

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
1st year at kingshurst high school was a bit daunting but mates made it bearable first day was a bit confusing i had just settled into class ic when the secretary came in and i was moved to class 1d i had been mixed up with another pupil with the same initials ,then the boys school was built and we were separated from the girls ! and we met mr aldridge our new headmaster not very nice some would say evil!
i was not very academic and left without qualifcations but still found a job and survived all my working life without being out of work until last year being made redundant at 62 still done better than most.
phil

trapio

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »
The best things about my first school, Clifton Rd primary were:

Free Dinners & free milk,
Learning so many new things
Playing with other lads, getting out with them after dinner,
The Headmistress and some teachers who really wanted to teach you new things

The worst were (not the school's fault):

Having to leave to go back to 'that house' every day
School Christmas holidays - too cold and little food ops to bunk off for a few days.

trapio

Integrity is non negotiable

alanmillard

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
The best things about my first school, Clifton Rd primary were:

Free Dinners & free milk,
Learning so many new things
Playing with other lads, getting out with them after dinner,
The Headmistress and some teachers who really wanted to teach you new things

The worst were (not the school's fault):

Having to leave to go back to 'that house' every day
School Christmas holidays - too cold and little food ops to bunk off for a few days.

trapio
I went to Rea st and Hope st finnishing at beirton road south yardley. alan

maggie

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 04:11:19 AM »
I only went to one School in Birmingham
that was   St Marys Convent,Hunters Rd, Handsworth.
Was taken away from the in 1940 because of the maybe
bombing, that happened later.
Rest of my eductaion was in West Bromwich
Remember a Miss Poxon, she was Cross eyed and always
looked the wrong way poor soul..However one day I had,nt
done any good at Arithmatic so she said I could,nt go to
Art classs,   I threw the inkpot at her, oh heck I can see
it now, a beautifulsilk dress in cream with boys and girls
embroidered round the hem..think I might have spoiled that for her.   Miss Jevons the headmistress did the wrong thing
as far as I was concerned she sent me home and told me
not to go back for 3 days,  lovely holiday/Mum was not
pleased tho.........I was then passed over to St Michaels
in W,Brom, loved it there, good crowd ,still remember some
of them.Left in 1943 and started work.......
do unto others as you would be done by

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy