Author Topic: what school did you go to  (Read 166478 times)

DutchinBrum

Re: what school did you go to
« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2016, 11:20:32 PM »
Hi Phil; thanks for the welcome!
As did many schools in 'the old days', Central had its share of pretty violent teachers! Having said that, no teacher was allowed to use a cane. The 'standard' corporal punishment was the 'slipper' (which was actually a gym shoe, or pump).
Anyway, we had this particularly short-tempered French teacher (that was his subject, not his nationality) who went by the name of Mr May. He was known to us as 'Jimmy' - whether or not that was his real name I have no idea! Jimmy would give any kid a whack as soon as look at him.
Well one day, I was about 12, we had an English lesson and the designated teacher didn't turn up. So as you can imagine, the whole form were engaged in polite conversation whilst sitting in our seats waiting patiently for the teacher. I'm sure you can picture the scene. I was sitting right next to the door. Suddenly, the door burst open, hit the wall and who should be standing in the doorway but Jimmy May; hands on hips and screaming (literally) "BEEEE QUIET!!!" He looked at me and yelled "WHY AREN'T YOUR FRENCH BOOKS OUT?"
"Because it's an English lesson, sir", I replied. Well, the whole form erupted in laughter and I caught a clip around the ear. But not happy enough with that, our friend Jimmy gave every boy in the form 2 strokes of the slipper! Poor bloke must have been knackered!

harry hough

« Reply #375 on: October 01, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
Saltley College School
Bridge Road
I attended this school 1937 to 1940 when it was
destroyed by enemy action

harry hough

« Reply #376 on: October 04, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
Townie, I went to Mapledene Infant & Junior in Sheldon

Serendipity

Re: what school did you go to. St Anne's catholic primary.
« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2016, 01:42:31 PM »
Then St. Michaels, Digbeth.  I stayed in Alma Terrace, Benacre St.  Balsall Heath.  No longer there, but, happy memories.

townie

« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2016, 09:51:17 PM »
I must apologise to members and new members who would like their school added to the list on reply 360. I am unable to add to the post due to forum procedure. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

RoyB

« Reply #379 on: November 11, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
I went to Tinkers Farm junior school in 1948 before the family moved to Kings Heath and I went to Queensbridge Road from 1953 to 1958......anyone got any memories of either????

planetmalc

« Reply #380 on: November 11, 2016, 07:23:54 PM »
I went to Tinkers Farm junior school in 1948 before the family moved to Kings Heath and I went to Queensbridge Road from 1953 to 1958......anyone got any memories of either? ???

We had a member called Gravon42 (real name Graham Williams) who used to post on here and who went to Queensbridge Grammar briefly (probably 1954-55).       Search through his old posts for more info.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Beeti

« Reply #381 on: November 15, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »
Hi my name is Julie Aldridge I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm trying to find out where my father John Markham Aldridge went to school back in the 1930's. There where 13 other Aldridge brothers and sisters born between 1890 and 1925. They lived in several places mostly Sutton Coldfield, Aston, Erdington, Hodge Hill Area. I have a couple of photo's of dad at school and one of dad in his school blazer. If anyone recognises either the buildings and pupils I would be very greatful.
Thank you

wgsfgs

« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
I went to Stanville Road School Sheldon. The school is still there and on Google earth looks to have the same layout as when I went there  1945- 1950. I can still see what was a grass square (now covered with tarmac) which used to have a Maypole in centre. I can remember being banished from the Maypole group for 'NOT SKIPPING' :-\ my punishment was to go and play football ;D ;) . The football pitch is also still in the same place. My first teacher was Miss Spencer. There was also Silvermere School also in Sheldon and for a short period we had to walk to Silvermere from Stanville to get our school dinners. Silvermere has been demolished.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: November 26, 2016, 02:58:17 PM »
Hi my name is Julie Aldridge I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm trying to find out where my father John Markham Aldridge went to school back in the 1930's. There where 13 other Aldridge brothers and sisters born between 1890 and 1925. They lived in several places mostly Sutton Coldfield, Aston, Erdington, Hodge Hill Area. I have a couple of photo's of dad at school and one of dad in his school blazer. If anyone recognises either the buildings and pupils I would be very greatful.
Thank you

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ianhume

« Reply #384 on: December 08, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
I attended the Tinkers Farm Junior and Infant School from the time I was four (1948) until after the "Eleven Plus." I have very fond memories of my time in this school. Miss Farrow was the Head Teacher of the Infant department, Miss Waite the Head of the Junior section; later followed by Mr. Green.
Mrs. Brodie was a warm and kind person. Mr. Gregory, who taught the senior class, told us tales of his experiences in Africa, including one about soldiers in the back of a lorry plucking locusts out of the air and eating them like popcorn. We were enthralled! Mr. Wickham was ex-RAF. Miss Shrimpton was a pretty young woman. Mrs Garrett, drove a two-door Triumph with small seats  in the back that folded up if you opened the boot.
There were others, of course, but these are the ones I remember.
We used to play a basketball-like game in which the goal was a wooden post that sat in the centre of a circle and was protected from being knocked down by a boy or girl who acted as goal keeper. On our own time we played piggy-back fighting. As a somewhat big kid I carried a somewhat smaller kid on my back as we went into battle. I broke a couple of teeth that way.
Four of us found a delightful way to spend one lunch hour... Shooting blotting paper soaked in ink at the classroom ceiling... which earned us a caning. One stroke by Miss Waite on each hand. Except for me. I had one stroke on one hand, as I had only shot the ink pellet at my friend, Brian. Even then I thought I deserved a harsher punishment than the others. And I still do!
But still and all a mostly joyful time.

I too have happy memories, and good friends like Steve White who I haven't seen since 1955.   I remember the garden behind the school where I often used to read before school started. And yes, teachers who were decent, honest and fair.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy