Author Topic: what school did you go to  (Read 166456 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: what school did you go to
« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
Hi Gerald and Countryman

To continue our conversation re Tom Wilson, Headmaster of Coleshill Grammar School, when we strayed off topic in 'In your garden', Tom has written a book about his wartime experiences entitled 'In the Shadow of the Wooden Horse'.

As I spotty 16 year old, I was aware of this but in 1956, I was more interested in Rock 'n' Roll, cycling and girls (in that order) so schoolwork took second-place and this was reflected in my GCE O level results. I think Mr Wilson was irritated by my tardiness and was pleased when I left. When I met him again after almost 50 years, I reminded him of this but I don't think he remembered.

Yes, he is a true eccentric, unlike us kids who thought we were being different by rebelling but in fact, we were all the same.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

GardenGerald

« Reply #408 on: October 03, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »
Hello Ian
I lived in Water Orton so most the the children when they left Water Orton School went to Coleshill. Half got free travel
but the other half had to pay. The parents would complain about the uniform for Coleshill only being available from expensive
certain shops but that was the case where ever you lived.
Did you ever come into Water Orton for any of the Disco's we used to put on in the Village Hall or Dances in the School Hall.
It was quite a good fish and chip shop on Coleshill Hill.
I live in Pembrokeshire and have done for many years but will always have good memories of the area where we both lived.
On our last visit very sad to see the places not looking so good and it will get worse with the HS2.
Take care
Gerald.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
Yes, I liked Water Orton and did a lot of train spotting there because I could easily cycle to it or walk through Smith's Wood which was behind our house. John Day (past Captain of Water Orton Cricket team) sat next to me in class (we were in alphabetical order) and Arthur Edwards sat next to him. My parents only bought the first uniform and afterwards, my mother would buy an ordinary blazer and sew green braid onto it.

I regret that I never knew about the discos and dances because I love village get-togethers. I've played at Water Orton Cricket Club a few times (approx 20 years ago) when I was in the Eagle Jazz Band and it was always enjoyable.

The problem with Water Orton is that it is now surrounded by the M6 and M42 motorways and I've heard that the carbon emission levels are now dangerously high.

The fish & chip shop in Coleshill High Street was run by Mr & Mrs Childs.

Coleshill Grammar School was established in 1520 which will make it 500 years old in 2020.

countrylad

« Reply #410 on: October 11, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
Yes, I liked Water Orton and did a lot of train spotting there because I could easily cycle to it or walk through Smith's Wood which was behind our house. John Day (past Captain of Water Orton Cricket team) sat next to me in class (we were in alphabetical order) and Arthur Edwards sat next to him. My parents only bought the first uniform and afterwards, my mother would buy an ordinary blazer and sew green braid onto it.

I regret that I never knew about the discos and dances because I love village get-togethers. I've played at Water Orton Cricket Club a few times (approx 20 years ago) when I was in the Eagle Jazz Band and it was always enjoyable.

The problem with Water Orton is that it is now surrounded by the M6 and M42 motorways and I've heard that the carbon emission levels are now dangerously high.

The fish & chip shop in Coleshill High Street was run by Mr & Mrs Childs.

Coleshill Grammar School was established in 1520 which will make it 500 years old in 2020.

Ian/Gerald I passed by the area on M6 & M42 last week. Incredible how it's changed.

As a kid I am sure we parked near some council offices when going to the shops in Coleshill, then walk up a passage way with a very old leaning brick wall (back of pub) then the passage way went between two shops. I remember a lady that sold tropical fish just by the passage.

Do either if you remember the old blacksmith/ farrier that travelled by motor bike? Had a frame where sidecar would be and his forge and anvil were on there. When travelling he covered his legs with a strong ok hessian sack. I remember his old bike chugging up the hills. It may have been an old triumph or Velocette. I think he retired in the early 70's

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #411 on: October 12, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
The passage is still there and it is next to the Swan Hotel. When we were at the old school (next to the Church), we regularly used it to get to the cricket ground which the Cricket Club let us use.

I do not remember the Blacksmith but I will make some inquiries.

SamanthaGibbs1968

« Reply #412 on: October 31, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »
Hi looking to chat to anyone who went to Yewcroft school Court Oak Rd Harbourne in the 1970-1980s Samantha Gibbs a few l remember David Smith Derek Shuffling, Alan Financial,  Debbie Santos,

SamanthaGibbs1968

« Reply #413 on: October 31, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
Alan Finan

Colinf

« Reply #414 on: October 31, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
Nansen primary then naesby

Scipio

« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »

St Patricks Dudley Rd then St Peter's Broad St then Cardinal Newman Sandon Rd , then into the University of Life . Do you know looking back I loved every minute of all of them. That is including all the ups downs beatings canings school meals , all the twistings of sideburns by Mr Torry thank you, all the slicing of the bottom by Mr Doyle thank you sir, the rapping of knuckles  courtesy of Miss Harrison(Pen and Ink), the four lots of six of the best thank you Mr Hunt(headmaster) all the rubber throwing by umpteen. Do you know I'd go through it all again tomorrow because I know that these people taught me and a hell of a lot more kids to have respect for my fellow man be them young or old . It never done me any harm Thank You One and All
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

« Reply #416 on: November 02, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
Afternoon Everyone
Was it only Edmund and Myself who went to Loxton Street School. Great School, great times. I
felt sad when I left stepping into the unknown. First day at work the Boss in his brown overalls
and trilby said he had seen more life in a row of constipated sauce bottle. He pushed us and
pushed us but it was for our own good.
Good memories and I still remember all the things we were taught, this includes most of the Latin.
Take care Gerald.

Bev K

« Reply #417 on: November 02, 2017, 06:41:13 PM »
St Patricks Dudley Rd then St Peter's Broad St then Cardinal Newman Sandon Rd , then into the University of Life . Do you know looking back I loved every minute of all of them. That is including all the ups downs beatings canings school meals , all the twistings of sideburns by Mr Torry thank you, all the slicing of the bottom by Mr Doyle thank you sir, the rapping of knuckles  courtesy of Miss Harrison(Pen and Ink), the four lots of six of the best thank you Mr Hunt(headmaster) all the rubber throwing by umpteen. Do you know I'd go through it all again tomorrow because I know that these people taught me and a hell of a lot more kids to have respect for my fellow man be them young or old . It never done me any harm Thank You One and All

You have said it!!! Despite my dislike of school back then but I would live those years over again in  a heartbeat. We were a generation - despite growing up in the 60s - that was taught to respect people, especially our elders and as you say it didn't do us any harm - au contraire

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy