Author Topic: The Underlying Message Seems to Indicate that Hugging May Soon Be a Craze!  (Read 4157 times)

John_Lerwill

The following was reported by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown in to-day’s Independent newspaper:

“This weekend I was on a Tube next to two red-eyed, exhausted Africans with those huge zipped-up plastic bags. I surmised they were poor exiles from their homelands, selling cheap things on streets, as they do now all round Europe, because they have to, to keep themselves and their families alive. What they go through, how they are despised. I felt my mood fall into despair for them. And then this old white couple started chatting to them, just naturally, without excessive curiousity. By the time we reached Hammersmith the men were grinning. Then one got up and gave the couple a wooden giraffe: ‘For Christmas; bit late, I know. God bless you.’ The whole carriage, for 10 minutes, was infused with warmth.”

Yasmin went on to tell of a book entitled “Random Acts of Kindness” (by Danny Wallace) which her daughter had received as a present, and how her daughter finds the book a delight.

Yasmin (who generally writes a good lead article every Monday) is an Ismai'ili Shia Muslim who is well established in Britain and has much to say about fairness and the lack of it.

To-day, she also commented on a recent YouGov (http://www.yougov.com/) poll that indicated that 63% felt good about their lives, but only 7% thought that the past year had been good for our country. They detest, she said, the change in the country.

So a good hug will start to change everything, perhaps?
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

john2000

J-L yes as you say give a good hug, ( as long as her husband is not around ... ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

roy one

• Global Moderator
not so long ago one mp was telling us to hug a hoody and love a lout   i can just see me hugging a hoody i would get took away by the police or get a smack in the mouth or if it was a young girl hoody well i hate to think    head lines in news paper   old man goes round hugging young girls
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
do not try that abroad in some places they would cut your arms off then you would have nothing to hug with

John_Lerwill

I suppose you all think you are very funny!  :-\

Thinking about it, perhaps you are!  :D  And maybe that humour is another element that is badly needed.

So there you are - if you can't manage a hug, crack a joke!  ;)

roy one

• Global Moderator
come on jl get real its not a case of being funny in the uk if you put your hand on some one its called assult

Graham

Did no one then click on my link  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 in "are Brummies the rudest people in the UK" that it needed a new thread  ??? ??? ???

John_Lerwill

Sorry, Graham, just thought that it had gone beyond just Brummies... (?)

John_Lerwill

... and the topic had gone away from the question on rudeness. (?)

Graham

That's OK by me J_L, I just thought it strange as you were the first to agree that it wasn't necessary to start a new topic everytime we answered. The link to 'You Tube' clip wasn't in Brum either (pity enough). As for going beyond Brummies I would be the first to agree, but let's start on our own doorstep and take it from there. They won't cut your arms off in Brum (not yet anyway) for hugging. John give the hubby a hug as well, you never know your luck!  ;)

John_Lerwill

Re: The Underlying Message Seems to Indicate that Hugging May Soon Be a Craze!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 10:18:58 PM »
give the hubby a hug as well, you never know your luck! (Graham)

Ahhhh, er, well that may well depend on what 'e is like...  :-\

I'm still an unliberated Englishman when it comes down to it...!  ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy