Author Topic: School Photographs  (Read 46814 times)

Spud

Re: School Photographs
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
I seem to remember Mr Carroll telling me that he took over from a Mr Redding who incidentally taught me around 1950-52. I am pretty certain that he would have taken over from Mr Kirby.
Mr Redding rode a Matchless motorbike and I remember him explaining to the class how the Internal Combustion Engine worked.
Mr Kirby was head at the time of the death of King George VI  and I have a clear recollection of him going to each class in turn with the news. We also had a memorial service conducted by Mr Kirby. and to this day and I know this might sound a bit daft but I can still hear the two minute silence when everything and every body stopped.
The only Photo I have of Greet School is the school trip to the Festival Of Britain on 4th July 1951. I will have a scout round but really doubt if I will be able to find it. Funny I still remember the date !
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

BrummieGeoff

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
I was at Greet Primary School (and nursery) 1960-67.
The head was Mr Baines, and I believe Tom Carrol took over when he retired.
I had Tom Carrol as teacher in Class 1. The other teachers' names I remember are Mr Harbird (Class 3) and Mrs Reynolds (Class 5).
Attached is a picture of the 1967 school cricket team (including me) .... with Mr Carrol and the teacher who ran the team, who I think was Mr Warrington.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »

hi Geoff  your photo with a tad of colour

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Catlover

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
I was at Greet School, nursery, infants and juniors. I remember the canteen being across the playground and the pink custard. I attended when Mr Baines was the Head then subsequently Mr Carroll. Mr Carroll was my teacher in class 1.

BrummieGeoff

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
Hi Catlover
Maybe we overlapped at Greet .... I was there 1960-1967 (including nursery). Do you recognise any of the boys in the cricket photo?
Chocolate concrete with pink custard was definitely my favourite school pudding.
Have you seen Greet School in recent years? The main playground was shrunk severely when they built a roundabout on the Warwick Road. The old canteen has gone. And the buildings have spread a long way down Percy Road .... presumably to accommodate lots more kids.
Attached is old aerial photo showing the school in 1935 .... before classrooms 3 and 5 were bombed.

frederick

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »
Also a very good photo of the Serck wear I worked Warwick rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
Don't ever remember seeing that before Geoff. Looking at the school buildings from above is interesting I am pretty certain that the classrooms bottom left was destroyed during an Air Raid during world War 2 and was rebuilt around 1950 I guess that I was probably one the first children to use the new classrooms. That playground brings back memories I remember having a fight there one morning with a lad who went on to be one of my best and oldest friends. The Football playing with just a tennis ball and at least 20 a side. That was stopped after some hot shot smashed a classroom window. Every player received 100 lines ' I must not play football' fortunately that particular day I was a little late and missed the punishment.  Happy Happy Days.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Catlover

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
Hi Catlover
Maybe we overlapped at Greet .... I was there 1960-1967 (including nursery). Do you recognise any of the boys in the cricket photo?
Chocolate concrete with pink custard was definitely my favourite school pudding.
Have you seen Greet School in recent years? The main playground was shrunk severely when they built a roundabout on the Warwick Road. The old canteen has gone. And the buildings have spread a long way down Percy Road .... presumably to accommodate lots more kids.
Attached is old aerial photo showing the school in 1935 .... before classrooms 3 and 5 were bombed.

It seems that we overlapped. I was at Greet from 1959 - 1965 (ish) I had the same teachers as you. I left the area in 1973 and have not returned since them. However I have used Google Earth to view the area and noticed the new roundabout you mentioned.

I use to live just across the road from Greet School, in Lea Road. Do you remember any of the families from Lea Road or Percy Road. I didn't recognise any one in the cricket team (apart from the teachers) maybe the names would be more familiar.

Catlover

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
  was this your old school
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Catlover

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »
  was this your old school

Yes, this is Greet School from Warwick Road view. Thanks

BrummieGeoff

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
Roy One : yes that's Greet School now.
The playground is much smaller than it was in my day .... it must be hopeless for playground cricket. We used to get "6 and out" if we hit the ball over the fence. And we then shouted to passers-by to throw it back!  :)
Catlover: I spent a few years in the class that left in 1966, and other years in the class that left in 1967. I recall Dennis Fellows lived in the sweet shop on the corner of Lea Road, Alan Weatherspoon who lived on Percy Road between Evelyn and Fernley, and Steve Cox who lived further down Percy. I lived in Thornhill Road.
The names I remember from the cricket team are Townsend, Jones, Stone, Wilson, Peters, Smith, Cotterill, Perryman, Worral, Cox, Bevan.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy