Author Topic: Stirchley, Kings Heath, Bournville  (Read 4258 times)

Jacqueline

Stirchley, Kings Heath, Bournville
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
Anyone with any memories of this area. I remember the church being burned down on the Pershore Road and the fireman who lost his life when the fire engine overturned outside the co-op.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Stirchley, Kings Heath, Bournville
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:43 AM »
Hi Jacqueline

I remember the fireman who lost his life, he was from Cotteridge Station. Another one was invalided out of the service with injuries caused at the same accident. From what I can remember it was only a bin fire at a local hospital they had been called out to.

Of course they didn't know that at the time, all they knew was it was a fire at a local hospital. My son was stationed at Cotteridge at the time, though not on the watch that had the accident. The firefighter that died was a mate of his and the one that was crippled still is.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
Hi Jacqueline
I was with my mom & dad shopping when the Church in Stirchley caught fire & remember seeing the vicar carrying out some sort of cross or staff out on to the street out of harms way,I never liked being dragged around the shops on a Saturday but that particular episode will always stick with me as, although we lived next door to several Firemen & Police, it was the first time i,d ever seen them in action.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
Pickard, that must have been a bitter sweet sight. Although i used to attend sunday school there i was not aware of the fire until the next day.
Phil, Such a sad tragedy. My friends young brother was waiting for a bus outside the co-op on the day and ran for his life. Drove past the new church on Pineapple Road while the funeral took place and saw the coffin being bought out after the service. Looked like a good send off.

pickard.r

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
Just found this on the Web,

Plus this link http://www.ascensionstirchley.com/historyextra.htm gives out a lot more info.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Pickard, That was a super link. The first photo shows Cartland Road where i lived. It also has a link to the vicar of that time who happened to live in the vicarage on the opposite side of the road to me.
I even remember the vicars dog a sandy coloured mongrel. He told us kids that he named him samuel coz he found him in the wilderness. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy