Author Topic: Trip in Birmingham  (Read 240 times)

Mélisande

Trip in Birmingham
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »
Hi everybody!

I'm Belgian and in one week I go to Birmingham to do a work placement at the university for 6 weeks!
It's the first time I go to this city. I am a little stressed because English is not my mother tongue but I hope it will be a good experience for me.

Do you have some advice to give me? A nice place to visit or a great event to recommend me?

;)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Trip in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »
Hi Melisande

Welcome to Birmingham Forum, I'm sure our members will help you all they can.

Don't worry about English not being your mother tongue, Birmingham has an international population and its residents are used to hearing many languages. They may not understand you completely but they will give you the time and endeavour to understand what you are saying.

Depending on your likes and dislikes there are many places that you must try to see.

I would think given your age group you might want to take in Broad Street which is our entertainment Centre. You might try a spot of shopping in our Bull Ring Centre one of the best retail centres in England. Take a stroll down our canals on Gas Street Basin or Sherbourne Wharf.

Then there is our wonderful Art Gallery and Museum in Chamberlain Square and Millennium Point Science Museum on Curzon St.

I could go on for ages, but the best thing you can do when you get here is get out and explore. I promise you will love it.

Phil
Make Love Not War

sheldonboy

Re: Trip in Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:56:40 AM »
Hi Melisande, Just to expand on Phils points. there are many things to see and do in Birmingham. In Birmingham you can literally shop till you drop as we say here. it will probably take you your six weeks to get around them all. If you look for wgere new Street Crosses Corporation Street You will find an information centre, you will find a lot of what you need to know here.   You need have no worry about the language I am sure you will do very well.
I hope you enjoy your stay with us and enjoy our city, And welcome to Birmingham in advance. Sheldonboy
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet