Author Topic: bellgrave road late 1950/1960  (Read 22670 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: bellgrave road late 1950/1960
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
Hi Annie

If you use the Forum search engine you might be surprised at the number of local photos that are on the Forum.

I will add these few of Belgrave Rd here, but I'm sure I would have posted these before.

The first one is of the funeral cortège of local MP Percy Shurmer passing the house where he lived all his life in Belgrave Rd.
The second one is of more or less the same section of the  road but on the opposite side.
The next is about halfway up the hill just before Dares brewery
The fourth is of the Electric Tavern over the road.
The last one is of Wrensons Corner.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Maurice

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »
Annie,

Sorry, I'm afraid I dont know of any photos of River Street. We will have to rely on the wonderful and amazing Phil to find some, one day.

I do remember your family, particularly Tony who is about my age, slightly younger. I didn't know him that well but bumped into him often around the neighbourhood. I remember he went to Hope Street school.

I know of your family mainly because you lived within a few yards of my best friend Eddie Dryhurst. The Dryhurst's - kids: Eddie, Freddie, Mitch, Vic, Colin and Leslie - lived immediately across the road from you on Seymour Street, next door, via an entry, from the 'Coal Bar'? factory. I remember that factory was quite noisy and the Dryhursts moved further down the road to the Sherbourne Road end, in about 1959.

Thanks for the name "Polly Cotton's Sweetshop". That was an important landmark for me and I couldn't remember the name.

I left the area when I was barely 12 and my memory isn't brilliant. The real expert on the neighbourhood is John2000. He will be a lot bigger help.

Maurice

annieshake

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
Hi Maurice - yes, you're spot on ... Tony's best friend was Freddie Dryhurst. I remember now. Do you remember my eldest sister, June - she was a beauty - she opened Littlewoods in town, and was in the paper with the lord mayor.
Do you recall the robberies in the neighbourhood - when some toerag was lifting the cellar covers and jumping in and robbing the meters?  My dad bought a pair of white pumps and kept them by the side of his bed, so that if he heard anyone he could chase them! And an old lady from Seymoor Street was robbed. The robber stole her handbag from beside her bed while she slept.

Maurice

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »
Hi Annie,
Unfortunately, I can't recall your older sister June. You Shakespeare girls must be very good looking if at least one of you made the papers!
I absolutely do recall my dad talking about a meter raider who entered through the cellar. The burglar didn't bother us though. Must have known how poor we were even by River Street standards.
The action down our end of the street revolved more around Saturdy night fights in the pubs on Longmore Street.
Freddie Dryhurst was an eccentric and free-thinker from a very early age. He was best known for telling us heavily religiously indoctinated pupils (St John's, Mary Street) that we were being conned and our god didn't exist. Not bad for a 10 year old. It took the rest of us a lot longer to work out! Everyone thought Freddie had gone barmy at the time.
Given that I was in River Street from 1954 to 1962, aged 4 to 12, it's funny to think that our paths probably crossed - may even have talked to you, and it's 50 years ago now.
Maurice (Connolly)

speedy

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
Hello to all,
I am trying to put together a map of where i used to live as a child in the early 1960 , I used to live half way down ballegrave road just down from a pub,
I am looking for any names of shops /pubs/factorys and names of people.  if you have any memories of this i would be very greatfull.
thank you
knocker
Hi knocker i think you will find the pub half way down Belgrave rd was the Electric my dad used to use it when we lived in Conybere St. speedy

wam

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
Hi knocker i think you will find the pub half way down Belgrave rd was the Electric my dad used to use it when we lived in Conybere St. speedy

I'd say it was about even between the Electric and The Eagle on the corner of Longmore St (Belgrave Rd goes from Bristol Rd to Moseley Rd so the Eagle is halfway down the road and the electric halfway up the hill). There's also the Belgrave at the top.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »
Hi wam & speedy,

You both missed out The Grapes by Frank St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
Hi Anne

Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid I can't get you anywhere near River Street with a photo and I cant help with St Patrick's School either. i have been asked for both before and I am still looking.

We do have another member on here that goes by the name of Maltablue who used to live in River St. You might possibly know him, the problem is he only pops on now and again as I think he lives in Malta now.

Phil

A decent-quality 1962 photo of the north side of River Street (Longmore Road end, with a small portion of that road visible) has just been posted on another forum, together with 60's shots of Hope Street, Mary Street & St. Paul's Road.    Interested parties with more than 25 posts can PM me for details.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »
As the website in question is virtually brand new and I was waiting to see what sort of a format it was operating on before I posted a link, its now about a month old and I don't think it is operating on a commercial basis or as a forum based site. So I can see no reason why a link should not be placed on this site. So for those who may be interested you will find it here. If at any time in the future the format of the web site changes I will remove the link.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
As the website in question is virtually brand new and I was waiting to see what sort of a format it was operating on before I posted a link, its now about a month old and I don't think it is operating on a commercial basis or as a forum based site. So I can see no reason why a link should not be placed on this site. So for those who may be interested you will find it here. If at any time in the future the format of the web site changes I will remove the link.

Interesting  -  that's not the site I saw it on!   :o    Same photo's though.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »
planetmalc

This is what you have to watch when posting photos to forums, the website I have linked to says that the photos can be copied but for non commercial private use and not for use in other forums. It is stated quite plainly and is the reason why I have not posted a photo here.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy