Author Topic: bellgrave road late 1950/1960  (Read 22663 times)

janey

Re: bellgrave road late 1950/1960
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
Thanks Phil appreciate your time, have a nice Christmas

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »

on the corner behind the lamp post was a bombed out buildings five houses  on the corner of frank street was a chippy and on the other corner was a sweetshop come paper shop just up from the shop was st Patric's school   then you come to hick street

the globe factory made mirrors in the pic by the car was a wide door way inside there they had skip type bin that us kids would nick broken mirrors
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

annieshake

River Street/St. Patrick's School
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
 :D
Hi Phil
I like reading your knowledgeable posts and looking at your photos.
Do you have any of River Street? My family lived at number 11 - on the corner opposite Polly Cotton's sweet shop at the junction with (I think) Lombard Street.
I'm also very interested in St Patrick's School. I left there in 1968. I fondly remember headmaster Mr Pierce, and teachers Mrs Pugh, Miss Sherwood and Miss Gittins.
As you will see from the date I left St Patrick's, I'm a youngster (compared to you lot anyway!)
I'd love to see some photos.  Any chance of you finding some or telling me where I can get some?  Thanks

Gee Gee

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »
Phil,
     "I'm a youngster (compared to you lot anyway".) seems as though they have found out about you getting your pension book soon. ;D ;D ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 09:39:44 PM »
Hi Anne

Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid I can't get you anywhere near River Street with a photo and I cant help with St Patrick's School either. i have been asked for both before and I am still looking.

We do have another member on here that goes by the name of Maltablue who used to live in River St. You might possibly know him, the problem is he only pops on now and again as I think he lives in Malta now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

annieshake

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 10:08:31 PM »
Okay, Phil.  :(  No problem!
Thanks for the welcome - it's good here, I like it!

Maurice

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
Hi Annie,

I lived in River St, No 32, between 1954 and 1962 (aged 4 to 12). Did you live at the top end near Seymour St or the bottom end, Longmore St? No 32 was quite near the bottom end.

If you lived at the top end, have you an elder brother with a rather famous literary name?

There are quite a few photos of nearby roads and places on the boards - Luxor, Triangle, Sherbourne Rd, Longmore St, Gooch St etc,.

I may be having a senior moment here but I think there was a photo put on recently showing the Coal Bar factory at the top of River St.

Maurice

MHenryD

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »

Hi Bilsat

I'm afraid this is the best I can do, it's a photo of the café on the corner of Hick St & Conybere St.                                                             
Phil
I lived in Hick Street upto 1965 in "Carlton Terrace ". (The  "posh" address!, otherwise 6/4) and can clearly remember the cafe in the photograph. I can also remember the outdoor on one corner of  Highgate St and the Wellington Pub on the other.There were also numerous little shops going up on the right hand side from Belgrave Road , in particular" Francis,s" at the bottom of our terrace where the woman used to go and sit on a bench and spend an hour gossiping! (and where you I could fetch my mum 5 Park Drive till Friday!)

MHenryD

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:09 PM »
Hi Jacqueline

Here are the only photos I have of Upper Highgate St at the moment. I think you may of seen these a couple of years back as I think I remember you asking before. If you want any of these in a larger format, just ask and I'll see what I can do.

Phil
8) What an amazing set of photographs , each one of them sparked long forgotten memories of my earlier years, from the time i lived in Angelina Street and then later in Hick Street.Well done Phil for stirring up the old memory box!!!! :)

MHenryD

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
Hello to all,
I am trying to put together a map of where i used to live as a child in the early 1960 , I used to live half way down ballegrave road just down from a pub,
I am looking for any names of shops /pubs/factorys and names of people.  if you have any memories of this i would be very greatfull.
thank you
knocker
Walking down Belgrave Road from Moseley Road on the R.H. side i can remember a barbers shop and then just houses to Hick Street, (These we would use as our adventure playground daring each other to jump over or off high walls or run across gardens without being caught!.For some reason we called it BASHING)
Below Hick Street there was a sweet shop owned by a man named Jimmy Paige and he had beautiful daughter named Linda whom every lad in the area lusted after!Further on I can remember a butchers and a greengrocers. The only other shop i can recall is a second hand shop but i think that was nearer to Gooch St.
On the left hand side of Belgrave i can remember a timber yard (a good supply post just before Bonfire Night!) and possibly a paper shop just before Seymore Street.
As a interesting aside I have met a man here in Spain who used to drive both the Inner Circle Bus ,No.8 ,running on Belgrave Road and the Outer Circle No,11.He is now 87 . 8)

annieshake

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
Hello Maurice
Great to get your message .... I lived at the top - right on the corner of River Street and Seymour Street, number 11.
I only remember a few things about River Street - Polly Cotton's Sweet Shop, which was on the opposite corner of River Street,  a derelict factory next door to us on Seymour Street, a family with loads of kids, the Sweeneys, Mr Wragg, my school - St Patrick's.
Yes I have got older brothers and sisters: June, Michael, Johnny, Sandra, Tony, David, Lavinia then me (Annie) and some younger ones too!
You might remember my dad, Billy Shakespeare? He had a run in with one of the local yobs, who attacked my dad with a bicycle chain. I'm too young to remember this - but you might remember it - apparently it was the talk of the neighbourhood?
It was great to get your message. Any ideas where I could get some photos of River Street?
My family left there in 1964/5 - I'd have been 7 or 8 years old then ....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy