Author Topic: Poplar Road, Kings Heath  (Read 3581 times)

lutleyyeltz

Poplar Road, Kings Heath
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of the record shop that was at the High St. end of Poplar Rd., in the mid 50s, early 60s?

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Poplar Road, Kings Heath
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
Hi lutleyyeltz

There was a Alfred Hobday musical instrument dealer at No 4 Popular Rd in the mid 60's. Could he have sold records as well?

Phil
Make Love Not War

lutleyyeltz

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »
That's the one! Thanks, Phil47.

9teen48

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
Hi Lutleyyeltz,

Hobdays sold records and musical instruments from their shop in Poplar Road in the Fifties and Sixties, not sure when they closed but they had another shop in Oak Tree Lane Selly Oak, which continued in business for many years.

In more recent times the Poplar Road shop became Off Limits which sold CDs only, I took this photo in 1992.

Brian

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »
Hobdays were still there in 1978/9. I remember because my daughter then a toddler ripped the needle from my expensive hi-fi seperates twice in one week. At a cost of 13 quid a needle back then it hurt. :(

Purchsed the new needles from Hobdays.

Mary8790

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:50:33 PM »
There used to be a great toy shop in Poplar Road. Does anyone know if it is still there?

potblack

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
Hi Mary

My wife informs me that in the 50's/60's there was a toy shop - she thinks called 'Baby Land' - that was at one time on the High St and then moved to Poplar Road or the other way round. Was this the one?

9teen48

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »
Hi Mary & Potblack,

The toy and pram shop in Poplar Road was Babyland.  It was a few doors up from Hobdays.   In the mid-1950s Babyland was at 105a High Street, opposite the Post Office.  I can't recall when they moved around the corner into Poplar Road, possibly late 1950s-early 1960s. It is no longer there.

The other great toy shops in King's Heath were Kings Norton Cycles in York Road; Chapman & Saunders on the High Street, opposite Woolworths and McGauleys also on High Street, more or less opposite Station Road.

Brian

Mary8790

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 12:05:32 AM »
Hi Potblack and Brian.  Yes it was Babyland and I do remember it on the High St. before it moved to Poplar Road.  There were some great shops in Kings Heath back then, shame they are all gone now.  Mary

9teen48

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Here is a 1973 photo of Poplar Road looking down towards High Street.  Babyland was one of the shops at the lower end, set back from the first couple of shops.

This was taken before buildings were demolished to make an opening into what is now the Asda supermarket carpark (previously Somerfield and before that Safeway).  The building with the ladder up the wall is still there, but the next block of shops with attic windows are now gone.

Brian

hobdays

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 07:35:35 PM »
I worked at Hobdays, first as a Saturday girl and then full time. Austin Greenstone (lovely man) owned the shop as well as the Music Centre in Selly Oak. Hobdays together with Greens on the Stratford Road supplied The Birmingam Maill with a weekly singles chart. A number of local bands used to buy records from us including The Move.