Author Topic: Is There anyone out there who lived by the carlton cinema in the 1940s & 1950s  (Read 3439 times)

Andy Capp

A FRIEND OF MINE AS ASKED ME TO SEE IF ANYONE OUT THERE LIVED BY THE CARLTON CINEMA IN TAUNTON ROAD OFF LADYPOOL ROAD. HE LIVED IN A TERRACE RIGHT BESIDE THE CINEMA. HIS NAME IS ALLAN DAVIS. ALSO DID ANYONE ATTEND DENNIS ROAD FROM ABOUT 1943 TO 1953. THANKS ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

CARLTON CINEMA

Graham

A FRIEND OF MINE AS ASKED ME TO SEE IF ANYONE OUT THERE LIVED BY THE CARLTON CINEMA IN TAUNTON ROAD OFF LADYPOOL ROAD. HE LIVED IN A TERRACE RIGHT BESIDE THE CINEMA. HIS NAME IS ALLAN DAVIS. ALSO DID ANYONE ATTEND DENNIS ROAD FROM ABOUT 1943 TO 1953. THANKS ANDY CAPP

Andy, I have been on BF for a long time and you should know that I (and others on BF) are from that area. I was at Dennis Road School untill 1958. If your friend wants to meet dozens of people from that area at that time, he/she will find them on Friends Reunited. Click here:-

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/friendsreunited.asp?WCI=FRMain&show=Y&page=UK&randomiser=0

Graham.

PS, I can remember being trampled, half to death, by dozens of hobb-nail boots at a Carlton matenee, all trying to get out before "God save the Queen" started!!!

Andy Capp

THANKS FOR THE REPLY GRAHAM
II,L PASS THE INFO ON TO MY PAL. HE WAS TELLING ME AS KID HE USED PLAY IN THE PARK IN TAUNTON ROAD. HE SAID THERE WERE PILES OF THICK RED SOIL WHEN RAINED HE GOT PLASTERED IN THICK RED MUD. ALWAYS IN TROUBLE WITH HIS MOM. SIMPLE PASTIMES THEN. ANDY CAPP

Bootneck

I lived in Newport Road not far from the Carlton and attended Dennis Road School from 42 to 53 I also knew Allan Davis.
Regards.

Bootneck

The red soil in the "little Park" as we called it was dug out to make a reservoir for fire fighting during the war, we used to call them the clay hills, the res was eventually filled in with the same soil, does anyone remember the day they installed the swings and roundabouts, the Parkie couldn't clear the kids out when it was time to close.

daverock

Hi
I have an old school friend that lived very close to the Carlton in the 50s but she lives in Perth Australia now, her family name was Caro.
Cheers
Dave

DRSkid

I lived for eighteen years in Dennis Road from 1949, my sister worked at the Carlton as an Usherette. The manager then was a Mr Sheils and the Ushers name was Albert. I regularly attended the Saturday matinee and the odd evening performance after I started work, by then I was paying 3/6d for a seat on the balcony with a ride on the lift (operated by Albert). The projectionists name on the night of the bombing was Leslie Freeman, he lived alone opposite us in Dennis Rd suffering "Shellshock", he never worked after that night but walked the streets daily still wearing his commisionaires hat untill he was taken into care some ten years after the bombing.
Yes Daverock I knew Dianne Caro she was in my class at Dennis Rd School and I used to go round her house now and then, how is she doing ?

Dannymc

My mother who's maiden name was Mccausland lived in stoney lane. She has a twin sister too. Also my uncle Danny ( now deceased)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy