Author Topic: balsall heath adventure playground  (Read 10898 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: balsall heath adventure playground
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
John I used all those cafés, The Bombay in Balsall Heath Rd you mentioned.  The Arnarkali on Edward Rd that you also mention. Others that you don't mention are the Aroma in Cox St West, the Medina on the corner of Edward Rd and George St. Also The Moonshine on Court Rd & the Kashmir on Clevedon Rd.

I knew all the working girls, all the gay crowd male & female and some shemale. All the thieves, vagabonds, con artists, mysteries and the few pimps that there were.

I grew up among them and learnt more about people and life than you could learn in a thousand schools and despite all the warnings from my elders it never did me any harm.

Phil
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
bombed building the best play ground in the world bombed house boarded up we soon found away in but the best part was we was left to get on with we used our minds that's whats missing today kids have to av things done for them and some one standing over them in case they cut them selves or get hurt that was part of the fun skin off ya knees and hands  you made sure you did not do that again
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

wam

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »

Wam, then you must know the bombed collage, ( which later had some appartments built on the ground), had so hairy days there,..J2

I don't remember it at all. Could be that I moved in to the flats on the site. I moved in in 1963 to the block of maisonnettes opposite the bottom of Balsall Heath Road. Just about everything between Belgrave Rd, Priory Rd, Pershore Rd, and Bristol Rd had been levelled around that time and this was part of the new housing built. We were supposed to be part of a 3 way council swap. someone in London got our old house in Croydon. We got a new place in Birmingham. Jack Jones got somewhere in London. At least that's the story my dad tells. I'd have thought Jack was too big for council in them days and dad was just a shop steward in the union.

thegypsypoet

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
Yeh,totally agree with the majority here,great to hear all these folk talk about their childhood memories of Balsall Heath.When i worked there on the site in Malvern street,I lived in Clifton road close to the pub living with the Warrens..I guesss i was well known to most of the kids in the area as i also ran youth clubs and organised a drop in in a deserted house in ladypool rd,formerly the dentists.Ive heard from Eugene Donnelly in recent months which was great.I loved its people and the streets were my ground too.As ive said ive got great memories of those days n the people  recorded on my website at http://www.thegypsypoet.co.uk the balsall heath days are in the section" What an extraordinary adventure",ps im not a social worker lol

john2000

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
Yeh,totally agree with the majority here,great to hear all these folk talk about their childhood memories of Balsall Heath.When i worked there on the site in Malvern street,I lived in Clifton road close to the pub living with the Warrens..I guesss i was well known to most of the kids in the area as i also ran youth clubs and organised a drop in in a deserted house in ladypool rd,formerly the dentists.Ive heard from Eugene Donnelly in recent months which was great.I loved its people and the streets were my ground too.As ive said ive got great memories of those days n the people  recorded on my website at http://www.thegypsypoet.co.uk the balsall heath days are in the section" What an extraordinary adventure",ps im not a social worker lol

I am.. I'll work with any one who is socal... :D .. ok, but what happened to Mount pleasent youth club, and Sherbore Rd youth club,? isthe youth club in Kings Heath still going .?

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:52 PM »
I think youth clubs are a thing of the past now, they have all turned into the new thing  "City Farms" there seems to be one in every second street. The street that hasn't got one has got a Community Centre in its place.

You can walk a good mile or two around where I live in Solihull before you come across either a City Farm or a Community Centre. I think that is a bit one sided and it's not just here it the same in most of the areas beyond the outer circle.

Phil
Make Love Not War

tramp

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 09:24:31 PM »
....it was a few years before I even knew that there was (is?) life beyond the Outer Circle ;D

Once I found there was, I decided to have a shuftie around - that has made the last 50 + years very good indeed O0

thegypsypoet

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
Some interesting stories here,when i was running the adventure playground there.Thanks for the link to the film on youtube have added the link to my website book What an extraordinary adventure at http://www.thegypsypoet.co.uk
Though they have portrayed me as black with a different name,im Ray Wills n white lol,it was in fact Michael Warren who was best friend to the Seeeneys and the local kids would nick all the milkmans deliveries off the doorsteps around clifton road and then do fry ups and tea on the playground for the Seeneys whilst they hid out in the play hut..People couldnt understand where their bacon egga n milk deliveries were dissapearing to.I was known to hundreds of balsall heathens in those days,took hordes of kids to cannon hill festival free,though nearly lost billy jevons there,in fact he did get lost once and was on national tv,one my asian playground users found him in moseley park sleeping under a tree.I used to take the kids to Dorset with me and even did exchanges between kids staying with dorset families n dorset kids staying at balsall heath.We took over the former dentist deserted house in ladypool road n used it as a drop in for the unnatched youths of the area.I took les wilson from shelter around balsall heath when they did their national campaign.Always fond memories of the people of balsall heath n the fun we had on the playground,we had a Dalek on the site too gift from birmingham uni,the kids loved it.Would love to hear from anyone who can recall some these events n people like the church leader Bill Loundes of st barnabus,with his beard n bovver boots the skins loved him lol

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »
hi gypsy
            going off tack a  bit  going back to the 60s i used to hang around farm road park me and  few mates  not getting up to much just a game of football or cricket or hanging round the sons of rest  just across the road from the suns of rest was a scout hut in the hut they table tennis and things like that one day we went over to see what was going on in there just got in the door when this chap said can i help you no we said just looking and that was it off we went about aw eek later we was down by the sons of rest  when three coppers come over to us and said what you up to nothing come the reply from us have you been over the scout hut no come the reply
then the next thing this van pulled up and took us away to the cop shop

it seemed that some one had broke in to the hut and pulled it to bits and took the stuff that was in there this scout leader had seen us in the park and said it was us he told the police that we was always hanging around the hut and he had told us time and time to keep away but after a time they let us go

a few weeks later we found out it was one of his own that had took the stuff a scout leader and the police had got the stuff back

so we went over to the hut to see the chap his words to us was keep away or ill get the police on to you

so like all things we kept away from any thing to do with  folk like that or any thing to do with the church
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

john2000

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi Gypsy, ( or what ever), I get the feeling you must have stood with on foot in Balsall Heath ( Clifton Rd) the other in Sparkbook ( St Pauls church,) and where was Mosley park?. ( maybe it changed after I left,?)
Bill Loundes,? I think he used to be an old mate of Dave Collier who ran the double zeros club ( in Digbeth) ...John 2000
PS: it seems that balsall Heath has got much bigger then when I knew it,? but then the council are always changing things....J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
John

Yes Balsall Heath has sure changed since you and I dodged around the back streets. They go on about what a dump it used to be,well my opinion of what its like today wouldn't be printable.The people who live there now seem to have no time for its history. All they go on about is how great it is now, they have no idea of how good it used to be, Well not many of them.

Perhaps the park that TGP is referring to as Moseley Park off Salisbury Rd. You know the private one that the likes of you and I were never allowed into, unless we climbed over the fence at night.

Phil
Make Love Not War