Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 318593 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #1441 on: January 12, 2019, 11:18:29 PM »
Rod

Yes by the 50's it was a secondary modern boys school and that is the part that I attended. Although there was a junior & infant section to the school which was totally separated from the main school.
Make Love Not War

RodH

« Reply #1442 on: January 13, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »
That explains it, never knew the secondary modern part was there. From about 8 onwards every day I had to catch a bus from the Rialto in Hall Green get off at the top of Durham Road and then walk down Durham Road and Taunton Road home from school. That meant I walked past the end of Dennis Road but never went along it.

cocacolakid

« Reply #1443 on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »
Phil..

Yes I have seen the picture you mention, indeed I have it in my collection. Alan Deakin & Billy Pendleton, the two I went back to Dennis Rd With were both a year older than me, which meant they were a year above me, so no, I am not in that class photo, and both of them left school before me.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

ksag

« Reply #1444 on: January 27, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »
Hello, I am researching my Mother (Bridget Skelcher) who lived on Balsall Heath Road as a child during the 40's and 50's.   She was adopted by Winifred Skelcher who was a dressmaker.  Her biological mother, Elizabeth Eggie (Coleman) lived nearby on 96 Varna Road.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

mayreeves

« Reply #1445 on: January 30, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
My grandparents lived at 103 vincent st John  and florence Forse with family 2 doors from bomb site 

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1446 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:57 PM »
Hi May

Welcome to the forum, concerning Vincent Street your grandparents must have lived there before the maisonettes were built to replace the bombed houses. Did the live next to the Greengrocers  shop?
Make Love Not War