Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 493891 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #1452 on: November 11, 2019, 01:27:19 PM »
Hi Mark

Welcome to you, I have a vague memory of the parents baby clothes shop on Ladypool Road, but only because I passed it every day on the way to Dennis Road School and it was next to M & J's which called for an obligatory stop to look in the window to see the latest gear even if I could never afford it at that time no matter how cheap it was.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

DMR

« Reply #1453 on: January 22, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »
Maltablue

You might recognise some of these,

The Crown Hertford St off St Pauls Rd.
The New Moseley Arms Edward Rd
Conybere Street
Belgrave Road.

Phil

DMR

« Reply #1454 on: January 22, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
I recognise the Crown on the corner of Hertford Street (I too went to Clifton Road School).  The lollipop man (in the picture?) at that corner, crossing over St Pauls Road, was called Mr Nicholls

DMR

« Reply #1455 on: January 22, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »
Hi Carolann

Welcome to the forum, at number 13 you must have been near the junction with Oldfield Road and the outdoor & newsagents. It's changed a bit around there now. Even so you should remember Oldfield Rd when it looked like this, even if they were preparing to demolish most of it when this was taken.

DMR

« Reply #1456 on: January 22, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
The newsagent at the top of Oldfield Road was run by a lovely old man called Mr Walsh

Teddygirl

« Reply #1457 on: January 22, 2020, 06:11:25 PM »
yes, he was a lovely man, as were the other shopkeepers in oldfield rd and surrounding areas. we had our groceries on the book from most of them, but mrs keyte was our main one (as she was the nearest ).

[email protected]

« Reply #1458 on: February 15, 2020, 03:38:40 PM »
Hi, my first post, thank you for this facility:
My late mother-in-law was born in 1921 at #5, Back of 54 Vincent Parade. We have been trying to work out where this would have been, not least in relation to the houses destroyed in the bombing.
Am I right to guess that numbering would have started at the west end of the Parade with odd numbers on the left and even on the right, so 54 would have been well along? I see a little group of houses approximately in direct line from Vincent Crescent and guess that #5 at the back would have been in the third of these, counting from the left?
Also, it was interesting to see the local photo albeit of elsewhere and wonder if any others of pre-war Vincent Parade have surfaced?
Thanks
Roger

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1459 on: March 10, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
Hi Roger

Welcome to you, sorry about the late reply to your post, but i hope this section of the local OS map may help yo find the answer to your question
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

[email protected]

« Reply #1460 on: March 17, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
Phil, many thanks indeed for this and for looking out the detailed OS map. My wife's grandfather was a tool-setter by trade, and as he lived just at the back of the Stanley Works we will ever wonder whether he worked there.
Best wishes
Roger

Lauchlan10

« Reply #1461 on: April 03, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
Hello I am looking for old photos of Balsall Heath Road, Kings Norton,. My Ancestors lived at no 11 in the 1880s

can anyone help steer me to where i might find any photos,

Thank you

Lauchie

She Linton

« Reply #1462 on: April 11, 2020, 07:32:28 AM »
Hi! Do you remember the Irish 'Callaghan' family who lived over the little shops at 120 Clevedon Road? They went back to Ireland in 1965.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy