Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 493892 times)

Jacqueline

Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 06:08:03 PM »
My gran ran a drapers shop on Upper Highgate Street until after ww2. Around the late 1930's she had a "proper" bathroom fitted which was quite rare back then.
Being quite proud of her new addition she told a few too many customers they were welcome to use it.
Grandad who worked on the buses had the shock of his life when he came home from work to find a queue of people outside the shop with towels under their arms.

Andy Capp

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 06:52:08 PM »
Jacqueline Your gran was posh i can see why Everyone wanted to come round for a bath. Ours was a tin bath in front of the fire. It was Ok if you were first in there were four of us so if you were last by then there was soap scum floating on top of the water. Back to those happy days back to life worth living. HA HA. Andy Capp

Jacqueline

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 07:28:37 PM »
Ha Ha Andy. Just double checked with mom and think they left 1944/45. The shop would have been i think 82-84 Upper Highgate Street and named Jones Drapers. They sold to a family named Childs from Yardley. Childs had the shop and gran had their house...but soon moved to Kings Heath.

My mom went to St Patricks and upper Highgate Street Schools.

tassie devil

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 02:10:27 AM »
 hi andy capp / jacqueline                                                                               
     i went to upperhighgate st school then st albans if you go to page 1/2 you will see imformation about me i go under the name tassie devil my name is mike and live tasmania yours tassie devil by the way were do you live
                                                  ::)

johnl

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 04:21:17 AM »
Hi Tassie Devil,
This is John L in New Zealand.
I was born at 10 Cromwell Passage and then moved to last house Angelina St next to bombed site cnr Upper Highgate St.in 1944.
The local shops I remember were Rhodes the chemist and Henson,s the grocer and greengrocer cnr's Conybere and Upper Highgate Sts
Did my schooling in Small Heath.
My sister did infant and junior school at Upper Highgate St then got a place at Aston Commercial college.
A person who I remember from Upper Highgate St was Frank Toombs he went to St Albans School also.
Moved to Shard End in 1957 then to New Zealands in 1967.
Believe there is now a road where our house in Angelina St stood.
Great to see the memories of the area where I was born.
John L
John L

Andy Capp

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 09:46:26 AM »
Hi Tassie Devil
This Andy Capp calling we now live in Redditch worcestershire. Lived in Gosford Street off Balsall heath road until the 1960s. 37 years in Redditch. Yes there are people  who came from Balsall Heath are flung to the four corners of the world. My Wife & I have had a lot of holidays all over the world. As my sister says to me who would thought a Kid From balsall heath  would have done the travelling we have. Just to think that the lickey hills was our mecca in the 1940s & 1950s Andy Capp

Jacqueline

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 03:27:41 PM »
Super piccy.

Regarding the shops mom remembers Pepplins. Hensons re-located to Stirchley [where i was born] they ran a sweet shop on the Pershore Road and had a monkey no less which they took for walks on a lead like a dog. ::) Mrs Henson never smiled but she ws a nice lady.

Surnames around the Upper Highgate Street area connected with the family [apart from Jones] were Bick, Coley and Pittam and perhaps more.

Andy Capp

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 06:06:20 PM »
Did anyone go on day coach trips organised by someone in their street. We went to New Brighton on one ours. On would go the crates of beer As well stopping at pubs on the way on the way home. you cannot do that to day but it was a different ball game back then. We would sing all the old songs on the way back home IE On mother kellys doorstep etc. When we got near home we would sing  jolly good luck to the driver then some one would go round the coach with an hat for a collection for the driver Happy times Simple but great. Andy Capp

john2000

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 09:52:18 PM »
Andy, I think that the garage Timms was just by Vincent st, on the mosley Rd, 8) 
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Andy Capp

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 10:40:44 PM »
John 2000
Your not to far with vincent street. Timms garage was to doors down from Moseley road library & baths. Andy Capp

johnl

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »
Hi Jacqueline,
Was  Pepplins the newsagents in Upper Highgate St next to  corner of Conybere St?
John L

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy