Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 493897 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #1419 on: August 05, 2017, 08:27:20 PM »
Does anyone remember Bradburys Leather goods shop I think it was in cox street west about50-60s also had a stall in Kings Hall Mkt  by Old Square in Corporation st ,on the corner was an outdoor which had a parrot that swore when people walked in
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mikejee

« Reply #1420 on: August 05, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
Bradbbury's was at no 6 cox St West, and,in 1962 at least, at four other sites. Below is part of a phot I took shortly before the shops were empties and demolished. no 6 is one of the two shops in the distance with overhead blinds over the pavement. Had to cut phot because of size restrictions on th eforum

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1421 on: August 05, 2017, 11:33:02 PM »
Thanks Micejee last time I visited my aunts shop was about1951 they have hen bought a house in Moseley it was detached and lovely
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

gingertom1234

« Reply #1422 on: August 09, 2017, 10:45:40 PM »
Hi I have just joined and I am wondering if anyone as a photo of sherborne road, but the back to back one,s,which is where I was born it had the old toilet and wash house . I left there when I was 4 in 1955 my mom and dad,s name was Williams .
My brother and sister went to Mary road school. :D

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1423 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »

hi gingertom
                           welcome to the forum    this is the best I can do at this time ill look for more

just a bit of info in the mid 1940s the bottom end of sherborne road, got bombed out I would say looking at this photo on the other side of the road was housing that was bombed out now if you look close at this photo you will see different colour brick work that was because the houses that was left but damaged had to be put back in to use quick
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1424 on: August 10, 2017, 09:34:27 AM »
Hi Gingertom

Let me repeat Roy's welcome to you, most of the back houses up Sherbourne Road were terraced housing, but there were  some back to backs as well. This image is of one such row of back to backs, typically they look to be one room on the ground floor with two small bedrooms above. The toilets and Brewhouse (washroom)  would have been opposite just out of picture. I'm sorry I have no idea of the location on Sherbourne Road where this photo was taken. If you type Sherbourne into the search box at the top right of the page you will find other images that you might not have seen before and we have other posters on the forum that originally lived in the same area around Sherbourne Road that might have known your parents.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Nell

« Reply #1425 on: August 23, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »
My 3 x Great grandfather, William Phillips, lived at Ventnor Villa on Moseley Road in Balsall Heath. I'm pretty sure that the house was where Lidl now stands. Does anyone happen to have a photo of the house, or that part of the road before Lidl was built please? I would love to know what it looked like! He died in 1905 and is buried in Key Hill Cemetery.  Thanks :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1426 on: August 23, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »

just a tad of colour this is how it may have looked at the time

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

charliewag

« Reply #1427 on: August 23, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
Hi Roy, the photo of Shebourne road, the second house up ,they look like little cottage's 18A,my grand mother lived there with her daughter in 1944,just down the where the kids are is Longbridge Road they lived at 5 Longbride Road1939 till they moved into Sherbourn Road,   
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

mary street

« Reply #1428 on: November 04, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »
 i do grew up there i lived in cannon hill grove

mary street

« Reply #1429 on: November 04, 2017, 10:09:16 PM »
 does any one remember  phil shop  in 1963 it sold every thing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy