Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 493941 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #1430 on: November 04, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »
Hi Mary Street

Welcome to the forum, in 63 I would have been up and down Mary Street quite a lot, but I have no memory of a Phil's shop. Where was it and what did he sell.

Was Cannon Hill Grove still like this when you lived there?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1431 on: November 05, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

and with a tad of colour    and welcome to the forum mary street
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

wonderon

« Reply #1432 on: November 08, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
Does anyone have an old photo of the bottom end of George Street where it intersected with Edward Road, Wenman Street and Tindal Street? My Gran (Marion Dennis, nee Measey) lived in George Street in the first house on the left (looking from Edward Road) until the 60's. The house was one of three (two fronted onto Tindal Street) that backed onto a central yard. All three shared one outside thunder box in the yard!  I remember it well from when I went to my Gran's for lunch from Tindal St School in the 50's. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1433 on: November 08, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »
wonderon

This is the best I can do it's from the 70's. I wouldn't mind a photo from the 60's myself that shows the Medina Café at the bottom of George Street the place that used to be a greengrocers shop.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wonderon

« Reply #1434 on: November 08, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
Cheers Phil! Getting a photo that includes the bottom end of George St seems to be v. elusive!! O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1435 on: December 31, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »

this post was posted to the mod reports  so iv posted hear roy

Hi maltablue
I think the Dingles you refer to were further down Priory Rd nearer to Maypole Lane. In an area that has been covered by new build houses now.I see you come from Larches St the same as me, but I was up the other end near Larches Passage.  You would have known Ernie Smith from your end of the street, you must, he must have been getting on for six feet tall at 14 and he was built like a lath.Phil
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

RodH

« Reply #1436 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:40 AM »
Just joined this forum, will take me a while to wade through all the Balsall Heath posts! Does anyone remember Howard's Hardware, 394/6 Ladypool Road? My father Ernie Hunt bought the business around 1952 and sold it on in 1960. This address had been an ironmongers/hardware store since at the least the beginning of the 20th. century. We had moved from Hall Green and tended to refer to the address as Moseley rather than Balsall Heath. I should have gone to Dennis Road School but my parents would never have agreed to that! My sister had already started at York Road School in Hall Green before we moved so she stayed there and I was allowed to go there when I was of school age.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1437 on: January 12, 2019, 03:38:32 PM »
Hi Rod

I do remember your dads shop next to Balsall Heath Park, but I never used it, we always used Stockfords on Highgate Road or at a push Maturis at the other end of Ladypool Road they were both family friends. As for Dennis Road I didn't think it had a bad name as early as the 50's and by the time I started there in 1958 it was still quite respectable, well in my opinion anyway. We have a thread on the forum about the school if I remember correctly.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #1438 on: January 12, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »

Phil..  I have to agree with you!  I left Dennis Rd School in 1958, the year you started, there was nothing wrong with it then. Certainly didn't have a bad reputation at that time. I don't know if and when that situation changed. I know things there are very different now, one way & another.  I went back to the school a few years ago, with the late Alan Deakin (ex Villa Captain) and another mate, we were all at Mary St together before we went to Dennis Rd.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1439 on: January 12, 2019, 06:43:43 PM »
Malc

You must have seen the photo I have posted to the forum that shows Alan Deakin and his classmates sitting outside one of the Annex classrooms. Were you in the same class?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RodH

« Reply #1440 on: January 12, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »
Hi Rod

I do remember your dads shop next to Balsall Heath Park, but I never used it, we always used Stockfords on Highgate Road or at a push Maturis at the other end of Ladypool Road they were both family friends. As for Dennis Road I didn't think it had a bad name as early as the 50's and by the time I started there in 1958 it was still quite respectable, well in my opinion anyway. We have a thread on the forum about the school if I remember correctly.

Hi Phil.
As I remember it Dennis Road was a primary school but something I've read here implied it was a secondary. Secondary schools in the area so far as I remember were Moseley Modern and Moseley Grammar.

Sorry if I was disparaging to Dennis Road, I knew nothing about it, although some lads I knew must have gone there. Thing is my mother, to be honest, was something of a snob and York Road did have a very good reputation.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy