Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 493868 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #1441 on: January 12, 2019, 11:18:29 PM »
Rod

Yes by the 50's it was a secondary modern boys school and that is the part that I attended. Although there was a junior & infant section to the school which was totally separated from the main school.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RodH

« Reply #1442 on: January 13, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »
That explains it, never knew the secondary modern part was there. From about 8 onwards every day I had to catch a bus from the Rialto in Hall Green get off at the top of Durham Road and then walk down Durham Road and Taunton Road home from school. That meant I walked past the end of Dennis Road but never went along it.

cocacolakid

« Reply #1443 on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »
Phil..

Yes I have seen the picture you mention, indeed I have it in my collection. Alan Deakin & Billy Pendleton, the two I went back to Dennis Rd With were both a year older than me, which meant they were a year above me, so no, I am not in that class photo, and both of them left school before me.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

ksag

« Reply #1444 on: January 27, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »
Hello, I am researching my Mother (Bridget Skelcher) who lived on Balsall Heath Road as a child during the 40's and 50's.   She was adopted by Winifred Skelcher who was a dressmaker.  Her biological mother, Elizabeth Eggie (Coleman) lived nearby on 96 Varna Road.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

mayreeves

« Reply #1445 on: January 30, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
My grandparents lived at 103 vincent st John  and florence Forse with family 2 doors from bomb site 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1446 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:57 PM »
Hi May

Welcome to the forum, concerning Vincent Street your grandparents must have lived there before the maisonettes were built to replace the bombed houses. Did the live next to the Greengrocers  shop?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Tommyb

« Reply #1447 on: March 09, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »
Does anyone remember the days or butlers Highgate 1950s ?

astoness

« Reply #1448 on: August 04, 2019, 06:21:03 AM »
phil just been reading an old post of yours on this thread re the hereford arms kyrwicks lane...no surprise that it looks closed to me..hope you managed to retain that plaque that was in there

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4645423,-1.8803079,3a,75y,76.25h,94.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s66CXj5A3L3CItSYAfZN9QQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1449 on: August 04, 2019, 09:50:30 AM »
Lyn

I wasn't even aware that the Hereford had closed until some 12 months after it had. I have no doubt that one of Ben's many friends in at the Hereford salvaged the plate before it closed. I will have to ask one of those that used the pub that I see now and again.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

manvell

« Reply #1450 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
Hi Fossil, I'm trying to reply to your question about the houses on Oldfield Rd but not sure if I'm doing it right, so hope you're able to read it.  I was born and brought up there.  Our house had 3 downstairs rooms.  You entered from the street straight into the front room - there was no front garden and no entrance hall or passage.  A door led from that room into the back room and in the corner of the back room was a stair to the upper floor.  A door led from the back room into a small kitchen which had a back door.  There was a yard at the back and an outside toilet.  At the end of the small yard a gate led into the 'entry': a narrow passage between the backs of the Oldfield Rd houses and the houses on Woodfield Rd.

A few doors down was Mrs Keeling's corner shop (I think that was the lady's name) on the corner of Oldfied Rd and Woodfield Rd. 

Just across Woodfield Road was a factory where they did welding, and a little further down a factory where they made boiled sweets, which you could always smell being made.  And a little further on there was a chip shop where we could get a bag of chips for 4d.

In the next street there would often be a man with a stove on a barrow selling hot potatoes and roasted chestnuts.  The bread and milk were delivered by horse and cart.

One of my earliest memories was the coronation of Elizabeth II.  Tables were laid down the centre of the road and everyone sat at them for a special meal.[/size]

[/size]
 It probably wasn't everyone's idea of a great place to grow up but I recall a happy childhood.  As children we played a lot out in the street.[/size] [/size]

[/size]
Hope this gives you a bit of a picture.[/size]

Mark tedder

« Reply #1451 on: November 11, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »
I remember Balsall heath and spark brook we had a shop in Ladypool road in the 60’s and my mother grew up in Runcorn road.l started school at Dennis road.my dad grew up in Balfour st so l know the difference

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy