Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 493881 times)

Elmo0498

Empson
« Reply #1463 on: April 24, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
Hi Phil, could you help me locate a person called Empson. The person is on this forum and I have some WW1 medals that belong to a relative of Empson and I’d like to get them to them,

Thanks

Ellis 07889969936

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #1464 on: April 24, 2020, 06:30:39 PM »
Hi Phil, could you help me locate a person called Empson. The person is on this forum and I have some WW1 medals that belong to a relative of Empson and I’d like to get them to them,

Thanks

Ellis 07889969936

hi   there is no member on the forum by that name sorry  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1465 on: April 24, 2020, 07:39:45 PM »
Think you will find him on the Civilian War dead Thread having a chat with Lyn
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1466 on: April 24, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
there is no member by the name  Empson. on the forum     roy

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1467 on: April 24, 2020, 07:53:53 PM »
Roy it says he is a Senior Member and as made 424 posts
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1468 on: April 24, 2020, 07:55:49 PM »
Roy it says he is a Senior Member and as made 424 posts

yes I know iv seen the post but if you look for his name under membership it does not come up

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1469 on: April 24, 2020, 07:57:39 PM »
yes I know iv seen the post but if you look for his name under membership it does not come up

Search for:   
Search by name
Search by email address
Search by messenger nickname

Status
Username
Email
MSN
Position
Date Registered

Banjo

« Reply #1470 on: August 02, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »
In all the times I went to the Olympia in the mid 50s I just can't remember the layout of it. Looking at this google earth view I think it was L-shaped and the original auditorium shell still exists. Incidentally, the first time I went there in 1954 was to a kid's matinee and we had to keep our ticket stubs for a prize draw. My number won me a mouth organ. I went there many times, most times buying a Palms toffee bar (it lasted longer) from the sweetshop in Ladypool Rd, just around the corner from Leamington Rd where I lived. Most of the films I remember watching seemed to be The Bowery Boys or Francis the Talking Mule.   

frederick

« Reply #1471 on: August 02, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
I remember the long walk from Ladypool rd after paying to go in to the cinema at the back. I used to go to the matinee Abbot and Costello, Roy Rogers, Laurel and Hardy the bug hut.      O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Janny O

« Reply #1472 on: September 28, 2020, 05:30:48 PM »
Hi All,  I've just registered and this is my first post/reply so I hope I'll be forgiven if I've posted in the wrong place. (technology and me just about tolerate each other)  How all your comments bring back memories for me.  We lived halfway up Sherbourne Road, just two doors away from Lines or Lynes ? coal yard.  I remember Mrs Horner's chip shop very well, and I think the reason it wasn't obvious was because it wasn't a proper shop front.  She used her converted front room, which had a normal window.  My sister and I used to ask for what we called scratchings, which were all the crispy bits of batter floating on the top.  Lovely...and free!  Does anyone remember Smarts, the factory, which was also halfway up the hill.  It later moved to Moseley Road.  My Mum was born in Sherbourne Road, as were all five us of children.  We were moved out for the slum clearance and it broke my Mum's heart.  She always talked about Sherbourne Road and said she had her best times there with lovely neighbours. My name is Jan, by the way.  Would love to hear from any of you to share lots of other memories.

bookworm

« Reply #1473 on: September 28, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »
Welcome Janny O. Nice to have you on the forum. There are lots of posts about Balsall Heath that you should enjoy looking through (might take a while  :) ) but it's worth it. Enjoy!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy