Author Topic: Balsall Heath as it was.  (Read 493927 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Balsall Heath as it was.
« Reply #1474 on: September 28, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »
hi Janny O

welcome to the forum enjoy  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Janny O

« Reply #1475 on: September 29, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
Thank you for the 2 welcome messages from Bookworm and Roy. I'm ploughing through some of the old posts trying to find names that I remember from Sherbourne Road and Balsall Heath in general.  Will be in touch again.  This forum is a wonderful idea.

RayCC

« Reply #1476 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
Fred

Re your photo of Wenman Street (another of Mikejee's) as far as I remember there was no Wenman Terrace in Wenman Street. Mike and I were discussing this the other day on another forum and as far as we can make out the only back terrace's on Wenman Street were on the west side, Mount Terrace, Winifred Grove, & Pearson Place. On the east side, Hartland Gardens, Brighton Terrace, & Islington Terrace.

Phil

RayCC

« Reply #1477 on: November 24, 2020, 10:14:21 AM »
Hi,

Being a newbie, I saw your post about Wenman Terrace, I have always been led to believe I lived in Wenman Terrace which was situated between the pub and the shop called Greens. My address was 6/61 Wenman St alittle way before Knutsford street.

mikejee

« Reply #1478 on: November 24, 2020, 10:14:55 PM »
The c1952 map shows the terrace back of no 61 as Mount Terrace

Henson’s

« Reply #1479 on: July 25, 2021, 04:44:58 PM »
Super piccy.

Regarding the shops mom remembers Pepplins. Hensons re-located to Stirchley [where i was born] they ran a sweet shop on the Pershore Road and had a monkey no less which they took for walks on a lead like a dog. ::) Mrs Henson never smiled but she ws a nice lady.

Surnames around the Upper Highgate Street area connected with the family [apart from Jones] were Bick, Coley and Pittam and perhaps more.

Henson’s shop in Stirchley was called The Fondant Box, that Monkey was vicious and not trustworthy. I was surprised that you say she never smiled, she always had a smile for me, but I suppose you always have a smile for your grandchildren. Ironically Mr Henson, my Granddad died 49 years ago yesterday, makes you think, we will all be part of history sometime.

Regards.

Avsie

« Reply #1480 on: February 10, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »
These cyclists are riding on land where the house I used to live in stood before it was bombed.

Hi Nomansil - I know you posted this a few years back but I wondered what number you lived at? My family lived 2 bk 156 Balsall Heath Road and we suspected it had been bombed and this page about the cycle track seems to confirm that.

McLAREN

« Reply #1481 on: January 03, 2024, 07:00:36 PM »
I was just browsing through the old photos - particularly of Vincent Parade.  I lived at 3 back 54 Vincent Parade as a child.  From about 1953 till about 1966 when the houses were demolished.  The address is from the top of the map going down Vincent Parade.  The first alleyway on the left is where 1-5 were.  Adjacent to the tool works.  We were the McLarens and dad was a regular drinker at the Waggon and Horses.  We 4 Children - Colin, Barbara, Ian and Julie went to Mary Street School and onto Dennis Road or Upper Highgate Street. 

Gwladmab

« Reply #1482 on: January 04, 2024, 07:42:33 AM »
I was just browsing through the old photos - particularly of Vincent Parade.  I lived at 3 back 54 Vincent Parade as a child.  From about 1953 till about 1966 when the houses were demolished.  The address is from the top of the map going down Vincent Parade.  The first alleyway on the left is where 1-5 were.  Adjacent to the tool works.  We were the McLarens and dad was a regular drinker at the Waggon and Horses.  We 4 Children - Colin, Barbara, Ian and Julie went to Mary Street School and onto Dennis Road or Upper Highgate Street.
Welcome to the Forum McLAREN. It would be interesting to hear of any other memories that you have of growing up in the area.

Gw

frederick

« Reply #1483 on: January 04, 2024, 07:43:47 AM »
McLaren,
When were you at Dennis Rd school I attended that school from 1954 to 1958 things are a bit different there now.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy