Author Topic: schools  (Read 11811 times)

brino1962

schools
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:45:57 PM »
does anyone remember follett osler school by the res in edgbaston do u remember any of the teachers  ::) :-[

kelama

Re: schools
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:22:47 PM »
I went to Follet Osler (1953-1959) primary school, where I failed  11+ remember headmistress
Ray, teachers Pritchett, Morgan and Beddowes, remember swimming lessons at Monument road
Most of all remember how gray, dismal and cold everything was....pity they replaced one slum with an other.
check out http://www.oldladywood.co.uk/

john2000

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »
Kelama, Please forgive my next question, ( put it down to old age )  ;D, but where was Ladywood, I have memories of the street names, but cant place the area, ..... ???
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

brino1962

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 02:58:54 PM »
ladywood is just down the rd from 5ways just off broad st

john2000

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »
Looking at the photos of ladywood, now I understand why I couldn't place the area, because it is/was just the same as Balsall Heath, same streets, same houses, and same comradship between the people who lived there, I wish we had more photos of Balsall Heath, I feel that most of Birmingham had slums, even some areas of Small Heath, sparkbrook , Aston, lowzells ( spelt wrong )an area that I thought was very up market was in and around Walford Rd, even tho they had the toilets outside, the houses where in very good condition and well maintained,............. ;D

john2000

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 05:24:08 PM »
Does any body who lived in Balsall Heath/Digbeth area, remember Hope St School, before they pulled it down, most of the pupils lived around there, came from that area, I wonder what happend to alot of them, did they move from one slum to another, or did they move on to other parts of the country, or even move over seas, as some I know did, ( me included,) I even remember one blond haired girl, who stood in front of me in Assembly with bed bugs running throw her hair, my mate who always used to faint in assembly, so we put him at the end by the wall ( there where chairs there ), so when he fainted we could just put him in a chair, sad thing was later when he left school we lost contact and I heard the he had died, ( made me sad, because he was a great guy and friend,) then there was spotty Frank, ( used to go out with him when we were looking for girls at the dance hall, he was an ugly bas...d, ( which gave me a better chance to pull the girls ) then there was Joyce..... who I always thought was stuck up, I met her while on holiday in cornwall ( we where at the same boarding house, ( talk about an ugly ducking turning into a beautiful swan,),
in my first year at Hope street, I sat with a very quite girl, wouldn't say boo to a goose, very shy, ha, many years later I went with a friend to his friends house, and who do you think was the wife of this guy, yepe, it was the same girl I used to know, but "wow", did she have a tong on her, her old man sat very quite when she spoke..( I think he must have taken her wresling every Friday night, because could she mouth off,) I could go on all night, but I have to have dinner, ( my woman can mouth off when she wants to ( and in another language too..)...... ;D

Graham

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »
John, have you tried "Friends Reunited"? There are loads of old schools and school mates on there. If you do don't forget to mention that you got there through BF. There are more than 400 people listed for Hope Street School.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/friendsreunited.asp?WCI=FRMain&show=Y&page=UK&randomiser=0

Here is a photo from Dennis Road school on holiday at Douglas Holiday Camp, Isle of Man in 1956. I'm the one in the middle wih the light colored polo jumper, under the letter 'C' from CAMP. This photo I got recently from my cosine Fred Ford, he is standing at the front, left, in a white shirt.

Graham

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 10:30:40 PM »
John, talking about Walford Road, here is another photo that I've had from my cosine Fred Ford. It's of the "Midlands Roller Skating Club" in 1960. They were based at "The Embassy Sports Drome", Walford Road, do you know or recognise anyone? Fred Ford, from 58 Leamington Road (then) is standing in the center row, 5th from the left. I used to hang out with some of these guys at the rink too, but by 1960 I was into cycling.

Andy Capp

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »
HI JOHN
AS YOU KNOW I WENT TO HOPE STREET SCHOOL FROM 1947 TO 1951 ALSO MY SISTERS PAT JEAN & DOREEN & COUSINS DENNIS & RON. I THINK YOUR A BIT YOUNGER THAN ME I,M 70 NOW. SOME OF THE TEACHERS WERE MR JONES MR BARNARD MR GIBBONS MR EVANS. WHO WAS THE SCEINCE TEACHER. I KNOW SOMETIMES HE WOULD RIG UP LOW VOLTAGE WIRES TO THE BRASS DOOR HANDLE. BECAUSE WE WOULD STAND IN LINE OUTSIDE THE ROOM WAITING TO BE CALLED IN. SO QUITE OFTEN THE FIRST IN LINE WOULD RATTLE THE THE DOOR KNOB. WE WOULD BE BE WARY FOR A FEW MONTHS THEN WE FALL INTO THE SAME TRAP WHOEVER WAS FIRST IN LINE. THE SHOCK WOULD NOT HURT YOU THE VOLTAGE WAS VERY LOW BUT IT WOULD MAKE YOU JUMP. I CLASSED MYSELF AS  REASONABLE PUPIL. BUT ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS I WAS CANED SIX OF THE BEST THREE ON EACH HAND. IT DID ME NO HARM. I FACT IT GAVE ME RESPECT. YOU HEAR ALL THIS NONSENCE TALKED TODAY ABOUT THE HARM IT CAN DO. I THINK IF WE HAD BIT  OF THAT RESPECT TODAY IT WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE. I,LL GET OFF MY SOAP BOX NOW. ANDY CAPP

john2000

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »
Hi. Andy, my time at Hope St was between 1950 - 1955, and yes I remember Mr Barnard, he was the woodwork teacher, then there was Mr Evens  nice old guy,( deaf as a door post) till you said something out of turn, and wow, and you got a wack from him with what ever he had in his hand at the time, I liked him, he tought us to use our imagination and to create something from nothing, the science teacher was a small heavy guy with a bald head and a white coat who used to stink out the classroom ( I remember that doorknob trick,) didn't happen to me, because I was always late,
I remember I got into bad trouble one time, remember the stairs that came down from all the levels and at the bottom was that large double doors that let us out into the playground. well, one Friday afternoon ( 4.00pm) I rand down the stairs first, as the mob came running down the stairs, I blocked the doors with at big black mat that was on the outside, no one could get out and the stairs where filling up with snotty nosed kids all screaming to get out, anyway the door frame gave way, and it was like a flood , Monday morning I was up in front of Mr Underwood ( then headmaster) six of the best,.
Then there was the "the milk run" I became a milk monitor, walking round with all the milk crates , 27 bottles for Mr Jones, 35 for Mrs Mastrantony ( evil cow she was ) 26 for Mr Stuart ( art teacher) I'd spend most of the morning delivering the milk, Tuesdays was great fun, the girls would have a class about childbirth with little dolls and wall charts of all the things we boys weren't to know about, so I used to wait till Mrs Luise ( the teacher)had 3-4 girls out in front of the class, all looking at something, then I would barge in with my creates, and make myself known. ha,
there was about 4 of us that would deliver the milk, we had one guy who used to collect the empties, he would stand at the top of the stairwell and drop the empties down the shaft, and we would catch them at the bottom, anyway we broke some bottles and we where told to carry them down the stairs, ( that was a pain in the a..) we had one little guy, carring 3 createes of empties, from the top floor down to the ground level, anyway half way down he fell, now, Imagen 60 empty milk bottles all bouncing down the stairs and this guy bouncing with them, we heard the crash, "bloody hell"we ran up thinking we will find snot and blood every where, nope, all the bottles broke , glass every where, and this guy covered with broken glass, and not a make on him, ( he was the luckiest guy alive ) shortly after he put his hand on a creat and cut himself badly, blood everywhere, the teacher wouldn't let him be a milk monitor after, ....

Andy Capp

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
WE WOULD
IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO BRIAN MARTIN WHO LIVED IN COLVILLE ROAD. WENT TO DENNIS ROAD SCHOOL WITH US DURING THE 1950S & 1960S.BOPPING ALLAN

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy