Author Topic: Acocks Green Memories  (Read 38753 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Acocks Green Memories
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
Hi Jacqueline

Another good house, with a bowling green. I understand that the pub itself is still open and is a listed building because of its Art Deco (or is it Art Nouveau) design.

Unusually I think the bowling green is still functional and is used by a local bowls club.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacqueline

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 11:51:19 PM »
Phill yes the pub is still there but name changed to the three maggies which seems a shame but would have suited my sis in law Margaret when she was licencee ;D

Thanks for the piccy that is super and you are a star.

A thought. Now Selly Oak hospital is being wound down has anyone taken photo's? I could do it as close by but my camera is basic but willing to give it a go prior to demolition.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
Jacqueline

It would be worth recording, although I have no doubt there will be loads of people of the same mind. But the more photos the better and most photos will go into official files and private collections that we will never see.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Fatangel

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »

Phil, Jacqueline,

Just up the road in Hall Green is the sister pub to the Three Magpies, The Baldwin, also listed.

If you join the two pubs end to end they take the shape of the ship The Queen Mary.

Dave

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
I've always thought the Maggie's and the Baldwin had a certain similarity about them, so perhaps you may be right Dave. I have to be honest I have never heard that one before.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blueblizzard

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
Great photo of the "Baldwin" I am guessing that was taken in the early to mid 70,s with the outdoor (off licence) still standing. Only lived a couple of minutes round the corner, the bus terminus in front of the pub at that time would probably have been the 90/91 Baldwin to Pheasey estate route.
              The door on the extreme left as you look at the photo was the "outside" gents toilets for the bar customers, don't think many pubs would get away with outside loos these days,,,,thanks for the photo phil O0
               Cheers Bluey
Don't take life so seriously,,,nobody gets out alive anyway

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
Bluey

I would think you are about right with the date, we had one of those Morris Vans that is parked on the car park round about that time. It was fitted out as a crew bus.

Oddly enough our driver for the van lived in Acocks Green, he was a maniac and I would never go with him while he was driving the van unless I had to.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Dennis Williams

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
Phil, you are an inspiration and a Godsend to Brummie Pub historians like me for all your brilliant contributions to this Site.  Here is some payback, but not by me unfortunately.  This website may be a little twee and religious in parts for some folk, but get past that and you have a a very valuable discourse on life for a child growing up during the War in Acocks Green and surrounding areas, and his progress thereafter.  He went to a good school too!!!  "Where the iron heart of England throbs beneath it's sombre throne...."  Enjoy..

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/brian.david.williams

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for thinking of me, but I had already glanced through these diary's, and very good they are too. I often wished I had kept a diary, but it might have been difficult at times.

By the way I'm still looking for a photo of the old Cabin in Union Passage before they built Priory Queensway. I'm sure I had a one somewhere. I'll have to have another search through my files.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Dennis Williams

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »

Great stuff eh?   You've got a good memory too.  I actually found a photo of the old Cabin in one of Alton's books, and I THINK you may have posted it, or something very adjacent to it, yourself on the Passageways Thread.  It's a shot of the Broadway I still haven't found..he said pitifully? 

Dennis Williams

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
Great photo of the "Baldwin" I am guessing that was taken in the early to mid 70,s with the outdoor (off licence) still standing. Only lived a couple of minutes round the corner, the bus terminus in front of the pub at that time would probably have been the 90/91 Baldwin to Pheasey estate route.
              The door on the extreme left as you look at the photo was the "outside" gents toilets for the bar customers, don't think many pubs would get away with outside loos these days,,,,thanks for the photo phil O0
               Cheers Bluey

Agree, I played bowls there and the Maggies on numerous occasions.  Great Art Deco architecture, and a great pint!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy